cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant disconnections

Cosmoman
Dabbler

Constant disconnections

I have been with Plusnet a week today and am having constant disconnects and have been since the start..
More than a few time a day the connection with your servers will be lost. Sometimes total connection is lost  and other times it will just  show ,disconnected or initiating  on WAN
Using the internet is hit and miss with sites not loading for up to half a minute at a time.Its like surfing through treacle.
Not a good start....The speed is good when its running right, Its just that its constantly dropping out.
Any ideas?  Sad
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Constant disconnections

There are a host of potential causes which would match your description.  So we'll need more information in order to be able to help you.
Please follow the speed issues thread and post all of the requested information.
Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?  Are there any phone extensions (used or unused)?
Are you connected via wifi or via an Ethernet cable (with wifi turned off) when you experience the issues?
Which router are you using and which OS are you using?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cosmoman
Dabbler

Hi
I have just looked at the log for my brand new TP-Link TP9980 Modem Router and it has recorded the 'line down' error 7 times in the last 8 hours.
I have a connection speed of 8695 down and .43 up. Broadband speed test shows up speed at an average of 0.2 meg and down speed at 7.00
I do not have a phone so cannot listen for line noise. The router is plugged into the master socket (Engineers) with no other item used but broadband.
I am using wired connection. I am using windows 7 64
Hope this helps Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You need to get an ear on that phone line.  A phone handset is an invaluable diagnostic aid!  Cheesy
To assess your line, we need all of the stats please, not just the speed, which in isolation is meaningless to us.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cosmoman
Dabbler

The situation got worse and the broadband now disconnects at least once an hour. I have just spoke with a customer service via web chat and was passed onto a online questionaire which asked me if my broadband was active at that minute. It was, with that it said my broadband is working and logged me off. Going back to my previous ISP. It was a bit slow but at least they tried to help me with a fault I had months ago.
I have all the logs but nobody at Plusnet wants to see them...
Cheers Sad Sad
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you acquired a phone hand set and listened to the line?

cedlor
Grafter

Still no router stats?
Are you plugging the router in to the test socket via a filter via a filter
Cosmoman
Dabbler

Hi
I work as a electronics technician and know that my line is faulty.I have done every test known at my end, All I asked Plusnet to do was check my line and they will see how many dropouts I am getting,Its pretty much none stop now.
I have reported the problem but nobody has got back to me. I am trying to sign up with BT and have explained to them that I have a line fault which will need to be investigated first as Plusnet will not.. It has got to the stage where I will pay BT myself to fix the fault if necessary...
Plusnet clearly are not prepared to even acknowledge I exist...... All they have to do is look at the details of my connection and they will see there is a serious fault. It must have happened on the installation as it was fine with my last ISP.

Cosmoman
Dabbler

Stats  Wink
Basic Status
Device Information
Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.12 v0021.0 Build 150507 Rel.40130n
Hardware Version:TD-W9980 v1 00000000
System Up Time:0 day(s) 00:37:48
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 440 9329
Max Rate (Kbps)         888 9396
SNR Margin (dB)         22 9.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 18.2 41.8
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Cosmoman
Dabbler

FAO Plusnet Representative

I have waited in a queue on webchat but by the time it got near my turn my line dropped...

I have had it with my broadband service. The disconnections at least 3 times an hour for the last 2 weeks is just not good enough. I am a electronics technician by trade and have checked everything here. I have tried 3 different modem/routers with the same response of dropped connections constantly. I reported the fault but nobody got back to me, The problem should be clear at your server end. I want out and want to leave plusnet without being charged. Enough is enough. There is clearly a major fault with Plusnet head end or at the exchange and nobody seems to care.I have logs of the disconnections from the router should you tell me where to send them., The fault is not down to the phone line as such.It loses contact with Plusnet servers constantly. The phoneline check came back OK by the way.I am not prepared to stay with you if this fault is not rectified and will use my right to withdraw due to unusable service from day one. Thank you.The line is dropping now so I am unable to proceed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Townman
Have you acquired a phone hand set and listened to the line?

Line tests do not find all faults in a line.  It is quite possible that a line with a fault will test out OK in one direction, but not in the other.  Some intermittent faults might not be present when tests are run.  The best way to assess such conditions is to undertake regular noisy line checks - dial17070 option 2.
Does PlusNet provide your phone service?  If the phone line is noisy / has no dial tone, then it's a phone problem for your phone provider to deal with.  If that is PlusNet use the phone faults link below.  You need to eliminate the possibility of phone noise / fault before progressing a broadband fault.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see you spoke to one of my colleagues in webchat yesterday evening and they advised to raise a fault, unfortunately it doesn't seem that you've managed to do this yet. We'd need the fault reporting as it goes through a number of tests, you can report this from any connection at https://faults.plus.net
If your line drops while you're reporting it, you can carry on where you left off.
The phoneline check came back OK by the way.I am not prepared to stay with you if this fault is not rectified and will use my right to withdraw due to unusable service from day one.

We need to be allowed reasonable time to investigate the problem, and as the fault hasn't been reported we haven't yet been given that. We're happy to help resolve the issue, but there are steps we need to you go through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cosmoman
Dabbler

I have tried to log the fault online,I cant ring up as I am disabled and have hearing problems.
It does not matter now anyway. I have stopped payments to Plusnet and officially ended the contract as of yesterday. The service is pointless now as it takes at least 30 minutes to log on to the servers and this will disconnect after 20 minutes or so, then the process repeats.
I never had any trouble with any previous ISP's...
You can close the connection and line at your leisure. I have sent all details to the ombudsman including page after page of logs from 2 modem/routers that clearly show the fault at the Plusnet side. Please refund payments made by myself to Plusnet to save me taking legal action to recover.
The service is 'not fit for use' and that's the end of the matter.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is disconnecting a lot, at the moment we haven't been given any opportunity to resolve it as the fault has not been reported to us.
I'm afraid that I can't see that you've spoken to our Customer Options Team in order to cancel the service and as we haven't been given opportunity to resolve the problem, we wouldn't be refunding any payments.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cosmoman
Dabbler

I'm afraid that I can't see that you've spoken to our Customer Options Team in order to cancel the service and as we haven't been given opportunity to resolve the problem

I did tell you....I am disabled with hearing problems... I cannot use a phone to Speak to you.......