cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Slow Speed

jeri39

Constant Slow Speed

Hello there,
I have had slow internet for a while now and thought it would go back up because what first happened was a series of disconnections that would make my connection slower. I realised that the extension lead to the router was creating too much noise so I moved the router downstairs directly into the main socket (not test) with the filter and only one phone connected. Although the line was still slow, I noticed that the line was less noisy and would stop disconnecting at all and has been stable for around a month. The internet then moved from around 1.5Mbps a few weeks back to 6.5Mbps but it's still not my original speed that I had and was promised. I should be getting 18/19Mbps.
Is there something Plusnet can do to optimise the speed again now that I know the fault on the line was the extension?
P.S. The noise was ~39db down/~45db up using the extension and is now ~10db down/~12db up. I think that was the line attenuation? I can't remember what the noise margin was since I don't use my old router anymore (the older router wouldn't disconnect with the louder line attenuation).
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3643455849
I might reply with a post with another speedtest using Ethernet since this computer doesn't have it
EDIT: Ethernet returned same result (netbook is quite slow so response time is rubbish) http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3643592354
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Constant Slow Speed

Hi jeri39,
I've just taken a look at your connection and can see that your router is connecting to your Local Exchange at an extremely high rate. The problem I've identified is that the profile set on our suppliers systems hasn't updated - I've attached your line details.
I've raised this issue with our suppliers and we're expecting this to be resolved within the next 48-72 hours.
jeri39

Ok thanks for replying, I'll let you know after those hours Smiley
I take it that line rating is bad then, is G the lowest? 0.o Oh, and what's cell count? :s
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can ignore the cell count really.
Nah, G stands for Green Smiley
So it goes:
Black - Not enough data to give any useful information
Grey - Not enough DLM Data
Scarlet - This hits when the MTBR hits lower than 10
Crimson - This hits when the MTBE on the upstream is lower than 10
Red - This is a common one, it's when MTBE is lower than 10 & MTBR is lower than 8640
Amber - This means that no changes will be made to your line
Green - Positive changes will be made to your line, such as the SNR decreasing to improve speed
Your line itself actually looks really good, it's just the backend profile on our suppliers systems which is wrong.
I know above is quite a lot of information, but it all relates to the information on the attachment (at the bottom of it) MTBE/MTBR.
This guide I wrote might be more helpful: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-our-testing/
acarneiro
Grafter

My colout palette can't distinguish between Scarlet, Crimson and Red.... Tongue
Men: we work in 8 bit colours Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I know...they could have done something like Purple, Orange, Yellow, Pink and Grey?
jeri39

acarneiro: If you can only see 8-bit colours then you are missing quite a lot of colours in the 32-bit spectrum haha Tongue
Chris: It's pretty amazing how much you can actually see with the line, just a few weeks back I saw people were having problems and you could make charts of disconnections etc and I was just jaw dropped like wow, they store a lot of data and can make pie charts 😮 lol.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Haha, there's all sorts of stuff, pretty amazing what you can see from the remote side of things Smiley