Constant Router Resets

st1967
Grafter

Constant Router Resets

My stats are currently:
Connection Speed 5711 kbps  444 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.5 db 26.6 db
Noise Margin 6.6 db 25.1 db
Which is about right and was exactly the same while on SKY LLU.  We moved to Plusnet a couple of months ago and the router resets all the time.  I sometimes have as many as 3 different IP addresses a day?
I am using my own Netgear DG834GT with the latest firmware.
Speed is not the issue as it always comes back to the same speed, but I've also had to reboot the router manually a few times as the SNR gets closer to Zero as the day goes on?
Can a Plusnet Techie just have a look at our stats and see exactly how many times it has done this.  I used the same model router with Sky (I have my own and a sky branded one) and it would maintain it's IP and speed for months at a time, using exactly the same cables?  I have a Filtered faceplate on the master socket and my test socket speed is exactly the same.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
st1967
Grafter

Re: Constant Router Resets

Again, SNR down below 2db tonight and the internet stops.  Manual reboot of router and things are back.  Starting to bug me a bit now.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Can you use Routerstats to log the SNR margin, ideally graph it over 24 hours?
It might also be useful to log CRC errors over the same period if possible.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CliffTopp
Dabbler

Have you had plus.net support run a line test for you to ensure that there are no faults on your line?  With the recent bad weather openreach has been inundated with line faults, there is no reason to believe that you might be immune to this.  Wink
Have you tried an alternative router?  I know you say you have two different ones but have you tried both?  If you have is the level of disconnections the same on both?  Do the disconnections follow a pattern ie the same time each day?  Have you tried plugging your router into the bt test socket?  Do you get the same fluctuation in noise and number of disconnections?
Have you tried a different filter?  Do you have an alternative cable you could try?
st1967
Grafter

Quote from: w23

About to load this and leave it running for the day, will post the results back when back from work tomorrow evening.
Quote from: CliffTopp
Have you had plus.net support run a line test for you to ensure that there are no faults on your line?  With the recent bad weather openreach has been inundated with line faults, there is no reason to believe that you might be immune to this.  Wink
Have you tried an alternative router?  I know you say you have two different ones but have you tried both?  If you have is the level of disconnections the same on both?  Do the disconnections follow a pattern ie the same time each day?  Have you tried plugging your router into the bt test socket?  Do you get the same fluctuation in noise and number of disconnections?
Have you tried a different filter?  Do you have an alternative cable you could try?

I can't use the Sky router without removing their firmware.  I use it as a wireless extender downstairs (My router is in my loft office).
My Master socket has a filtered face plate so I don't use a filter.  Also might struggle changing my RJ11 cable as it is routed behind my walls in the loft?  They are just plasterboard so at a push I could swap it, but its been fine for many years?  I have worked from a home office for a while (before ADSL anyway) and used to run from an old Home Highway ISDN setup.  This was removed and replaced with a new filtered master socket by BT and its been rock solid ever since.
I'm not complaining about speed, I don't lose any?  I just lose the internet altogether until I reboot.  It is either on or it is off.
Clifftop, forgot to say, yes we have also had a lot of rain recently which is why I'm not going down the fault logging route just yet.  It's not life an death at the moment, the sync speed goes down, I reboot the router and it works again.  Like I said, I never have speed issues and there can be up to 4 of us on the internet here.  It either works or it doesn't.
st1967
Grafter

Quote from: w23

I have a big graph now?  Not sure what I do with it, line hasn't dropped though been up for 47 hours my highest noise ratio was 7.1 and a few minutes ago it dropped to zero (3.1 was lowest before then in last 36 hours)  When it dropped to zero the line stayed up though so maybe just an anomalies?  Currently back to 3.0 and speed fine?
Maybe nothing wrong really, just the bad weather as suggested.  I will leave it running for another day just in case?
st1967
Grafter

Can I ask anybody more knowledgeable than me what a "normal" graph should look like?  We are a 21CN Exchange but due to distance I sync at around 5mb.
Noise Ratio is currently 6.5db as I type this at 9:18am, but it was hovering around 2.9 - 3.0 db last night?  Kids were moaning facebook was slow last night, but I couldn't find any speed issues other than the SNR was down to 3.0db  there have been no resysncs since Saturday now, so hopefully it was just the bad weather.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have to say it's looking pretty stable now, your latest connection is showing as going on for over 2 days now on our side of things and that's at a speed over 5Mb. Fingers crossed it stays that way - though I have to say I'm not sure why facebook was running slowly. Not sure that shows an issue as long as other sites are working fine.
CliffTopp
Dabbler

Quote from: st1967
Can I ask anybody more knowledgeable than me what a "normal" graph should look like?

Normal is as Normal does and like everything else in the Normal range could be different for everyone but I suppose what you would hope for is pretty much a straight line around the 6db mark (or whatever your SNR is set to).  My Normal recording might show a fairly flat line with the occasional blip up or down a point or two.  But after bad weather it can look something like a tooth comb with a few teeth missing!  Grin  You'll tend to find greater fluctuation around peak periods, when there is likely to be more noise on the line or overnight when the temperatures drop and the line is more sensitive to atmospherics.
Hopefully, for you, what has happened is just a one off as the result of the horrendous weather everyone seems to have been prey to and everything will be OK from now on.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Since moving to 21CN/ADSL2+ the SNR on my line drifts down by around 2 dB as it begins to get dark and back up again as it gets light.  But I have seen other situations where the change from day to night is much more severe; forcing a 9dB target SNR in fact.