cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant DSL dropouts for the past few days.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Constant DSL dropouts for the past few days.

Copper line test shows no issues, reporting the test as a pass.
Test Outcome:  Line Test OK. Line loss within appropriate limits. 

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You will have had a dropped connection for about 3 minutes when that Copper Line Test was done Azagoth. Obviously it wasn't showing a fault/disconnect at that time  Sad
Azagoth
Grafter

Been out for most of the day, so couldn't say if it's been dropping during that time.  However, in the last two hours or so that I've been using the internet it's dropped/reconnected about three times. 
Anotherone
Champion

Did you read my reply #12?
Azagoth
Grafter

About the interleaving?  Yes, but I managed to get a quick few games in and the latency seems to have settled down for some reason, it's now fluctuating between about 24ms and 50ms.  I can live with that.
Anotherone
Champion

Well you can ask for it to be turned off, as it doesn't seem to have helped matters.
But no, my real concern was are you carrying out Quiet LIne Tests when you are seeing your disconnects. You need to be a bit OCD with that.
Azagoth
Grafter

You know, I've just been sat doing some work on a model and a thought occurred to me.  Could these dropouts be weather related?  They seemed to start at the same time as the weather got a bit wet and windy around here, so is it possible that there's some sort of break in the line, somewhere between my house and where the line enters the cabinet, that's fine during calm weather, but is exacerbated by strong winds and/or rain?
Anotherone
Champion

Oh yes, highly possible, sorry if that wasn't obvious, I should have mentioned it. I take it the your line is obviously overhead, do you know how far it is to the Cab and is it overhead all the way?
Azagoth
Grafter

It's about 100' from the eaves of my house to the wooden pole, where the line stops. From there, a thick black cable runs down the pole and disappeared into the ground.  I've just been to have a scout, and I can't see a green cabinet anywhere.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If you look along the path in the direction that the cable goes underground, you ought to be able to find manhole covers - these will be cable joint pits.  They should lead you to the cabinet - it could be some distance away.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Put your phone number into this BT Checker - it will tell you the Cabinet you are connected to. Just a case of hunting for the Cab with that number then.