Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering upgrading to fibre - have questions beforehand

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Considering upgrading to fibre - have questions beforehand

I'm thinking of upgrading to Essentials Fibre Broadband and have some questions before doing so.
1) Will I be able to keep my existing facilities for free, namely
a) Fax2Email with existing Fax number.
b) VOIP with existing geographic number.
c) Existing web space.
2) During a thunder storm last week, our telephone line stopped working. A BT engineer came and fixed it and put a new faceplate on the master socket and told us we're set up for fibre now. Do we still need to have an engineer set up Fibre Broadband and pay the charge? Just to confirm, they don't need to dig up our garden or anything, do they?
3) We currently have our router upstairs and connected directly to the master socket via a long cable running to the socket. Are there different types of cable required or will we be able to use this existing cable? The reason I ask is because it's already tacked to the wall, etc.
4) Will all existing wi-fi equipment work, namely
a) A laptop running Windows 7 about 2 years old.
b) A netbook running Windows XP about 3 years old.
c) Nexus 4 phone, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets.
d) Kobo e-reader.
5) Also, does the router contain ethernet ports? My Windows XP desktop PC connects via ethernet, as does the Siemens Gigaset C475IP VOIP Phone. I need these to both continue to work.
Sorry for so many questions but I want to get it right in my mind before switching.
Many thanks.
Annie
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Considering upgrading to fibre - have questions beforehand

Quick answer
Q1 - Yes
Q2 - It will still need an engineer visit with the modem and he will have to change you over to the FTTC cab but it will use the same wires to your property
Q3 - It is a different cable from the modem to the router (RJ45 ends) although you may be able to persuade the engineer to put the modem upstairs using the existing cable but I wouldn't bank on it - it depends on how he is feeling and the quality of the cable
Q4 - Should do
Q5 - it has three spare ethernet ports
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks Jim, for your reply.
Just to clarify about the cable. The cable coming out of the faceplate is currently a traditional modem cable (I think the connectors are termed RJ11). This runs upstairs to our current broadband modem, the Thomson TG585. When we switch to fibre, is the cable that will be coming out of the faceplate to the BT modem going to be an ethernet RJ45 cable instead? I thought it would still be an RJ11 cable, then we would put the BT modem upstairs and connect it to the new router close by via the ethernet cable. Have I got this wrong? I was wondering if there was a different quality of cable needed for fibre.
One last thing, I have read that a Static IP is better for VOIP. We do rely upon this facility so would we be better off paying for the unlimited £19.99 package which comes with a static IP?
Annie
James
Grafter

Hi Annie,
Unless I'm mistaken (this is possible) I don't see how a static IP would be beneficial for VoIP. Dynamic/Static should work as well as each other.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In theory you can move the modem upstairs using the existing cable
Whether the installer will allow you to use the existing cable is up to him
Regarding cable quality - it depends what you have at present and how long it is - if it is Cat5e or Cat6 it should be OK but if it is unscreened non twisted pair then it won't be suitable
I believe that the standard extender kit is 30m max length
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The engineer will do whatever you require when he does the install. When you place your order tick the box which asks for an extension to be fitted. That way you're completely covered & you can discuss it with the BTOR engineer when he visits to fit your modem. If your experience is anything like mine, he couldn't have been more helpful. Cheesy
Remember, the install is free of charge.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for all your replies. Just before I order the upgrade could you tell me if I decided to go for the essentials package, would I be able to upgrade to the unlimited without penalty if I decided to in the future or do I have to wait 12 months.
I've been having a conversation in the support area and I asked about the speeds on the Essentials and Unlimited packages. This is what they said.
"As for the speeds there is no difference between the Fibre Unlimited and Fibre Essentials. The packages simply determine the cost, allowance and features that can be used with them."

I thought that the speed was up to 76 on Unlimited and 38 on Essentials. I think the upgrade process stated I could get 68 so I would have a faster speed on Unlimited, would I not?
Annie
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I can see what the support person meant by 'the speeds being no different". However, as you say, the product definitions are different with Essentials Fibre being the nominal 40/10 Mbps service, and Unlimited Fibre the nominal 80/20Mbps service. So with the estimate you mentioned Unlimited Fibre should be faster.
Upgrading from Essentials Fibre to Unlimited Fibre mid contract is allowed but a new 18 month contract would be started.
David
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Annie
One last thing, I have read that a Static IP is better for VOIP. We do rely upon this facility so would we be better off paying for the unlimited £19.99 package which comes with a static IP?
I'm not qualified to say whether a static IP is better or not for VOIP, but you've already had an answer that ties in with what I would guess.
My reason for posting is that no current Plusnet package comes with a Static IP address, so you have a misunderstanding there. However it is only a one-of payment of £5, and I saw a post yesterday or today by Plusnet staff elsewhere that it can be added as soon as the package is live. I wouldn't be surprised, if you don't have one already, that you could get one now and it would be carried over on the upgrade.
Annie
Rising Star

I was told in a support ticket that the unlimited fibre package can have a static IP. I keep getting conflicting info from support.
Annie
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes it can but it costs £5 one off charge
if you already have one then it will carry over to Unlimited but not Essentials
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks Jim, that makes sense.