cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering migrating - some questions

Be3G
Grafter

Considering migrating - some questions

After over seven years with Plusnet it's coming to my attention that, for my particular needs, they're no longer the most suitable provider unfortunately. Hence a couple of special offers from a popular LLU provider, which would net me a year's unlimited broadband for a surprisingly low price, are giving me a strong cause to consider migrating. (And the ‘unlimited’ aspect really does seem to be pretty true, unless one goes mad and tries maxing their connection 24x7.) I do however have a few questions, which I'd appreciate some answers to from staff or customers alike…

• My broadband connection is currently supplied over 21CN, and I also have my landline with PN. Would either of these cause a complication when migrating the ADSL connection away to an LLU provider? (The provider in question also uses ADSL2+.) I would, if possible, like to keep the landline with PN afterwards.

• Is there currently a charge to migrate back to PN from an LLU provider as suggested on this page - and if so, how much? (I ask this to gain some idea of if it would cost me to return to PN in a year's time.)

• I understand that I can ask for my ADSL account to be downgraded to a free dial-up account in order to keep my e-mail addresses, and that this account needs to be ‘used’ every 90 days to keep it active. What constitutes ‘use’ though - would simply checking mailboxes count?

• Would I be correct in presuming that the free dial-up account wouldn't be able to host my domain name? I'm not interested in web hosting any more; I now just use it for e-mail address. If I am correct, what would people suggest I do to continue receiving e-mails to my domain name (which has multiple e-mail addresses)… e.g. in people's experiences, are domain registrars' e-mail forwarding services reliable enough to suffice? For what it's worth, I'd be happy to continue paying a nominal monthly charge to PN to continue hosting my e-mail accounts and domain, if such a facility exists.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Smiley
23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: Considering migrating - some questions

Hi Thomas,
Just to answer your questions:
My broadband connection is currently supplied over 21CN, and I also have my landline with PN. Would either of these cause a complication when migrating the ADSL connection away to an LLU provider? (The provider in question also uses ADSL2+.) I would, if possible, like to keep the landline with PN afterwards.
Is there currently a charge to migrate back to PN from an LLU provider as suggested on this page - and if so, how much? (I ask this to gain some idea of if it would cost me to return to PN in a year's time.)
- It would be the standard activation charge of £30, which you could defer.
I understand that I can ask for my ADSL account to be downgraded to a free dial-up account in order to keep my e-mail addresses, and that this account needs to be ‘used’ every 90 days to keep it active. What constitutes ‘use’ though - would simply checking mailboxes count?
- Yep, just logging into your mailbox is fine.
Would I be correct in presuming that the free dial-up account wouldn't be able to host my domain name? I'm not interested in web hosting any more; I now just use it for e-mail address. If I am correct, what would people suggest I do to continue receiving e-mails to my domain name (which has multiple e-mail addresses)… e.g. in people's experiences, are domain registrars' e-mail forwarding services reliable enough to suffice? For what it's worth, I'd be happy to continue paying a nominal monthly charge to PN to continue hosting my e-mail accounts and domain, if such a facility exists.
- The best bet would be to move your Domain to Just-The-Name, which would allow you to forward your email to your Plusnet account.  It should work fine, Metronet customers have been doing it for years and years and years.
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks James - though you missed the first question! Hope that's not an omen… also, as for the domain, it's actually already registered with 1&1 anyway who purport to offer free e-mail address forwarding. I have no idea of its reliability though - if anyone has any experience with it I'd be interested in hearing.
scootie
Grafter

My broadband connection is currently supplied over 21CN, and I also have my landline with PN. Would either of these cause a complication when migrating the ADSL connection away to an LLU provider?

take it the lack of answer here is because its abit of an unknow process so far
James
Grafter

Oops - sorry!
It shouldn't cause any problems.  Btw, if you're looking at O2, look at my twitter feed before you commit.
@AD - I missed it to be honest.
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks for the pointer - as it happens I'm actually considering Be. I did originally think about O2 owing to their very low prices, but I realised I'd miss the more ‘technical’ and community aspects that PN provide. Be seems to be the only LLU provider that's in any way similar to PN in those regards.
scootie
Grafter

ive got to admit ive bein thinking of going to BE last night and today, so the night owl i am can get back to gaming again.
for the same reason be3g, i feel there is a gaming comunity over there, so am not going to be on my own if latency is an issue.
sorry to say but in my case its BTw letting you down, i was having a read over at assip's service staus on 21cn last night why latency was going crazy and since there switch to 21cn i found found latency issues posted and a daming service staus saying they was in talks with the IRC bout bring in a wholesale llu as back up to the 21cn network
James
Grafter

Asbo Dog,
As I've alluded to elsewhere, we've got an extra 117Mbps capacity going live on Wednesday.  I didn't want to commit to a date before incase we weren't able to meet it.
It should be much better for you after that.
scootie
Grafter

sorry to sort of hijack you thread be3g.
i just cant see how the extra capicty is going to solve the issue for once and all. my understanding of the traffic mangment is that p2p should be droped way before effecting the gaming,voip queue 0x0a.
as we have seen the packet drop graph a couple of times and seen there is only drops at midnight, this means there alot of capicty there all ready, and in my eyes no matter how much extra capicty you add on the host link its going to be eatin up straight way as soon as the p2p gets relesed to line speed at midnite with these 20mb sync'ers lines.
at the moment the PN product of traffic mangment that i pay for to protect time senstive packets is just not working
Be3G
Grafter

Only after finally getting around to posting this thread earlier, circumstances have conspired against me and my mother to the effect that a change of ADSL supplier would no longer be prudent at this moment in time. So you're stuck with me for a little while longer yet. Roll_eyes
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jameseh
 Btw, if you're looking at O2, look at my twitter feed before you commit.

As a potential O2 customer in the new year could you expand. I'm not a twitter user, clicking on the link below your post just gave me a long list of comments and I couldn't see any relating to O2
James
Grafter

If you like sitting in a queue for over half an hour (at the weekend!!!) for them to answer your call, wait ~48 hours+ for an email reply then O2 should be the ISP for you.
Tried getting hold of them yesterday morning before work and gave up waiting after 25 minutes.  My dropping connection apparently will never be fixed.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks James, point taken, perhaps I will do the same as Thomas and look at Be. I was drawn to O2 because as a phone customer I would get their basic package for around £8.
Back to the drawing board  Roll_eyes
James
Grafter

Apparently not answering phonecalls or tickets wins customer service awards.
What is wrong with this country Sad
petejackson
Grafter

Firstly, Thomas (Be3G), I’m pleased to hear that you’re staying with us. It must have been a good deal to tempt you away?  I’m very interested in hearing more about the offer you’d received and understanding in what ways we’re not meeting your needs.  I’d be happy to discuss either here or, if you’d rather, for you to contact me directly?
Asbodog, you’re explicit about latency and our (traffic management) not providing the gaming performance you should (quite rightly) expect.  As you know, prioritisation of gaming traffic is core to our product design.  If it’s not working as it should then we regard this as a serious problem  I shouldn’t need to tell you that we’re constantly looking at our network’s performance.
Both, and all - if you’re not experiencing the network performance you should be (current service status notwithstanding), then please do be explicit about your issues.  We can look to tweak our product design if it’s not delivering what it should.
I’d ask for your patience just now.  We’re going to add more capacity on our 21cn network tonight I believe.  Our engineers are looking at possible latency issues on your exchange (Asbodog) as well as continuing to work to fully optimise our network. Hopefully very soon we’ll be in a much better place.