cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering fibre upgrade - A Tale of Two Routers ?

simonmcqueen

Considering fibre upgrade - A Tale of Two Routers ?

I note that as part of an upgrade you get a new free (as in beer) "fibre wireless router", of otherwise unspecified type.
Looking at the fibre FAQ I see instructions for two routers. The Netgear WNR1000 and the Technicolor 582.
I've not encountered a WNR1000, but I've had an absolutely bomb proof DG834G for yonks, so I'd have no qualms about its pedigree at least. It looks like a reasonably close cousin.
I've never heard of the Technicolor. The overall impression is worryingly French and it looks a bit Mickey Mouse in the pictures.
The FAQ entries for the Netgear are all older so I'm hypothesising they may have shipped them originally then moved to the Technicolor. That Technicolor thing certainly looks cheaper and such is the way of the world.
Is anyone able to confirm what is getting sent out currently please ?
5 REPLIES 5
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Considering fibre upgrade - A Tale of Two Routers ?

Simples, TG582n is what you will receive.
Have a read around, people don't get on well with it.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The TG582n works just fine and is favored by a lot of customers. I suppose it depends on what you really need from a router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry Adam I should have said "some people don't get on well with it" and if the OP has issues with it he could always source something more to his liking.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
simonmcqueen

Thanks chaps.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

I moved from a DG834G to a WNR1000V3 when I went fibre as well, back in January so I was probably among the last to get the WNR1000V3. I get on very well with it, but as others are saying you probably won't get one.
A word of advice though - keep your DG834G as it's easily configurable as a wifi access point.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.