cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Upgrading to PN Fibre

Spruance
Grafter

Considering Upgrading to PN Fibre

My ADSL2+ line speed has been a little flaky of late with much buffering experienced on HD content on You Tube being the most irritating factor. Interestingly my next door neighbour tells me that his connection is pretty much the same, except he is with Talk Talk, but aside from this we are on the same telegraph pole and so presumably on the same cabinet.
Anyway, I digress!
I have previously looked into the possibility of a switch to fibre but was always put off by the relatively high cost but now I find - if I have done my sums correctly - that I could get (up to) 76Mbps Fibre for just £10/month more than my current ADSL2+ broadband and anytime phone calls package with Plusnet so this has renewed my interest, as I watch a great deal of You Tube content and having my smart TV constantly telling me that I would be better off watching the SD version of videos is to say the least not best received.
If I understand correctly I will need a new Plusnet supplied (for £5.99 p&p cost only) fibre router and BT Openreach supplied fibre modem. I have recently had additional electrical sockets installed in the hallway with future fibre devices in mind but just wondered if the BT modem has to be fixed to the internal wall or can it be free standing like the router? Some online sources suggest that wall fixing is preferable, but I would like to establish if this is mandatory. I am also aware that the BT Openreach engineer will make an adjustment to the faceplate on the master socket but would he also need to change any wiring from the pole to the house or indeed the external house (telephone) wiring which has been in place for many years and which I suppose could conceivably be past its sell-by date.
Perhaps someone could enlighten me? Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Considering Upgrading to PN Fibre

Hi I don't believe it's mandatory to have the modem fixed to the wall I have mine that way simply because i have a soon to be 4 year old running around not to mention nieces and nephews of similar and younger ages, and there isn't anywhere else in the hall way i can put it, just ask the engineer to fix it the way you want as long as it's connecting to the master socket. 
The master socket should get updated to the more recent mk2 filtered version as for doing pole work etc nope that's not done at all it's just cab and in your property if you have issues due to the pole etc that's a separate thing that you would have to get sorted out once your up and running with fibre.     
xreyuk
Grafter

I have my OR modem freestanding without problem.
You will find that the engineer who visits (most likely) will be a Kelly Communications contractor. They will install the faceplate, do the cabinet work and test it. They will do what they can but I don't believe they have the knowledge to replace the pair to the house.
They would only bother replacing stuff if there was a fault found upon installation.
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks both.
There is much - often conflicting - advice online it's hard to decide which to believe.
As there are no small persons at my address I should be fairly safe with a free standing modem I think.  Grin
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

lol yeah you should be safe i would think, although that said i haven't had a problem with it on the wall so if you do ever change your mind you shouldn't worry about doing that.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Should be able to keep it freestanding, my install (Quinn engineer) asked where I wanted it, I said in the corner and he  said he'd leave it freestanding so I could move it if need be.
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks again. Smiley