Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consensus advice about router/feature/chipset for different situations

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Consensus advice about router/feature/chipset for different situations

Quote from: backtogeek
I allways try to match the router to the service and plan in advance to buy a new one, e.g. long line/short line/ ADSL/ADSL2/+ LLU/ADSL Max etc..

I've seen various things mentioned online and on these forums that imply a consensus about what router (or router feature, or chipset etc) is best in different circumstances.  There seems to be nothing official or proven about this advice, and it seems to be anecdotal, but it is consistent and prevalent.  However I have not seen the consensus opinions collected together and written in full in one place.  So please would those in the know help by giving a summary in this thread, and/or linking to where the advice is written down in one place.  I'm NOT looking for specific model recommendations; I am looking for general advice and things to look for in the spec when choosing a router.
Areas I'm thinking about:

• 1. Netgear DG834G V4 versus Thomson TG585v8 versus Netgear DG834G V5 (these seem to be the most frequently mentioned & recommended)

• 2. Broadcom chipset versus whatever the others are

• 3. Best thing to look for in a router for a long distance to the exchange versus a short distance to the exchange (and what a long or short distance is)

• 4. Best thing to look for in a router for ADSL/ADSL2/+

• 5. Best thing to look for in a router for LLU/ADSL Max etc.

Thanks.