cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connetion Drops

CJV
Dabbler

Connetion Drops

I noticed today that my connection was dropping quite a bit since roughly 6pm to 8pm not sure how many times it dropped but it was instant after reconnecting. I've had a few drops over the last few weeks although it did stable off a bit during the past week. I am not entirely sure why this has been happening but I've noticed the connection has been kind of unstable since switching to Plusnet in october I think. I can't really complain when the connection is fine because it's flawless when it is (although it's not as good as what I had before moving but we had to switch due to Sky buying out O2 and warning us they could not provide the same connection which was confirmed when I asked them about it). If it's just down to general maintenence or whatever then fair enough but I'm obviously curious to what's happening. I would like to mention that it cannot be down to the sync being too high as it's already a fair bit lower than what it was with O2 (14mb with them).
Also I'd like to know if the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have default priority on the line over everything else connected including PC gaming as I have had some issues when my brother is watching stuff on either of those consoles while I'm playing which has resulted in me filtering every port on every IP besides mine connected to the router but I can still notice the lag from time to time.
Any help is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Connetion Drops

Hi CJV,
I've just taken a look at your line.
Your Line Attenuation is 42.5db, if you match this up against the graph on this page: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-speed/ it shows that the speeds, according to this should be around the 8Mb mark. Your line estimate is 7Mb according the BT Availability Checker.
I appreciate that you got better speeds with Sky/O2 - I'm unsure if they were LLU, if they were, then this may have been why. Your SNR Target is set at 3db, the lowest we can set it, meaning that we can't do anything further remotely to try and improve your sync speeds. If you want our Faults Team to take a look at things, you can raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net - however, I'm not sure they will be able to locate a fault given that your current connection rate exceeds the estimate for your line.
Gaming Traffic is prioritised as 'Titanium' on the Unlimited Package, which you're on. The Xbox 360/Xbox One will be be prioritised the same as PC Gaming. Gaming should take precedence over any Streaming. Further details can be found on this here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
CJV
Dabbler

Hey thanks for the response. I'm okay with the speeds, obviously I cannot get what I had since I think it was LLU as I joined them when it was BE. It's a lot better than the other providers that are available in my area anyway so I can't complain just got to get used to a little less speed than before. Did you check or manage to find out what was causing it to drop a few times yesterady by any chance?
As for the priority issue, say im playing CS:GO on my pc and my brother decides to use iPlayer or 4oD on either of his xboxes my ping goes way over 1000ms thus making the game absolutely unplayable. I've managed to kind of lower the impact it had but every other day or so it can occur while he's doing that. YouTube on the other hand doesn't cause this issue at all so I'm wondering if it's just those 2 programs or CS:GO that hasn't been set up correctly?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not 100% sure what caused the disconnections - it's hard to tell unfortunately; we can keep an eye on that though, in case it happens again.
Are you able to start CS:GO and then start streaming 4oD on your own computer to see if the same thing happens? If it does, it'll be easier for us to try and identify what's causing the problem.
CJV
Dabbler

Just tested it for a good 20mins with iPlayer/4oD streaming in the background and my ping does flucuate quite a bit with the occasional freeze for half a second or more but not as bad as when my brother is watching something. I'm going to test a lower cap on his xbox later when he is home so that I don't end up causing him issues as well. It could end up being a router issue since I'm not using my Asus N66U any more as it no longer wants to connect. It was working when we first switched over to Plusnet but after moving stuff around it no longer wants to connect. I did however get it working for 5-10mins a few months back but again it fails to connect. If I could get it working again I could confirm if it is just a router issue and not how Plusnet handles the traffic from the xbox.
Edit: Connection dropped again around 4pm
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We could do with the Wireshark Capture if possible with both services running at the same time.