cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity

grumpy_old_man
Dabbler

Connectivity

I have been experiencing problems over the last 24 hours with listening to radio on line, in this case the bbc.  I get connected and then the signal drops and then reconnects or fails to reconnect and I have to click on media link to reconnect, but then signal drops again.
Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it broadband connection or bbc problem?
Thanks
gom
6 REPLIES 6
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Connectivity

I thought i was having problems but I discovered it was my recently purchased sitecom 8 port switch which i got 2nd hand from ebay. It had a mild overheating problem when in the cupboard under the stairs. Now it's out it's fine and my service has resumed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
eugeneg
Grafter

Could be that the BBC server is overloaded, or their network connection to the Internet.  Maybe the BT exchange you are connected to is busy or perhaps your ISP is and you are contending with others.  The quality and/or distance of your modem/router to the BT exchange may be such that you have a high noise and many packets are having to be retransmitted.  Perhaps you have a background or foreground task running on your computer that is kicking in periodically and stealing a resource needed by the iPlayer.  Or perhaps your ADSL signal is being hijacked by an interloper and the network is being saturated.
You need to do things to isolate the cause.  Try running on a different PC or at a different time or day.  Investigate problems at your exchange.  See if the problem happens in other players.  Switch to a different modem/router and see if the problem moves with the router.  You get the idea ?
James
Grafter

Hi GOM,
Do you only notice this with the BBC streaming radio service or do you see similar with your connection itself?  It would be interesting to find out if this is merely a BBC problem or part of something wider.
Not applicable

I've had BBC R1 Streaming all morning with no ill effects noted.
Listening using stand-alone Windows Media player.
James
Grafter

I have to admit, I've never had any issues with streaming radio on the BBC.  I was just curious to hear if it was affecting anything else as well.
grumpy_old_man
Dabbler

Thank you for your various replies.
As far as I can tell it is only happening with BBC radio streaming.  As been suggested it may just be a BBC problem.  I have experienced the problem before.
I thought it may due to download speed, but having just checked this it right down at 1200, normally 4000 - 5000.  I was just about to say streaming OK tonight when BBC cut out.  I will try other options suggested.
Once again thanks for reading the thread and responding.
gom[color=blue]
[/color]