cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity issues

FIXED
nullptr83

Connectivity issues

I recently signed up to PlusNet and for the most part I have found the service to work fine.  However, I have noticed that my router struggles to stay reliably connected to the internet when it rains.  As soon as there is a bit of rain, the orange light will come on on the router and the router will immediately reconnect to the internet.  As I am currently using my internet to work from home on MS Teams and for online gaming, this constant dropping of the connection is frustrating.

When I first signed up, the OpenReach engineer needed to reconnect the BT line at the telegraph pole.  But, it would appear that somewhere along the line is letting water in and causing a short.  Is there anyone from PlusNet support here that can help?  (I would use the online chat support, but that apparently no longer works).

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Connectivity issues

@nullptr83 Welcome to the forums. That does sound like water ingress somewhere, to be honest. Not that it makes much difference in this case, but I will still ask - are you on ADSL or FTTC?

John
nullptr83

I believe it is ADSL, but my account shows Unlimited Fibre Extra.

jab1
Legend

Nope, if your account shows 'Unlimited Fibre Extra', it is FTTC. What speeds do you normally get?

John
nullptr83

Thanks, that's useful to know. Getting around an average of 40Mb/s download and 15.5Mb/s upload on the three tests I have run in the last 10mins. It's the first time I've run speed checks from here, although I would say I haven't noticed it to be slow as such.
jab1
Legend

Fix

OK, you are definitely on FTTC, and from those results you must be a fair distance from your cabinet. Out of curiosity, what does https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL return as a result - make sure you obscure your phone number in the screenshot, please.

This needs reporting as a fault at faults.plus.net .

John
nullptr83

Broadband checker results are as follows:

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 15.31.10.png

PlusNet estimated peak time speeds of:

53 -- 70Mb up / 17 -- 18 Mb down

so it does seem to be down on that a fair bit.

Thanks for the advice; I'll report it usingfaults.plus.net.