cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections hangs intermittently

andy-cox

Connections hangs intermittently

Hi,

Have been with Plusnet for a short while now and we're experiencing a problem which is gradually getting worse.

Periodically, we experience a drop in connection.  This is typically a daily issue and can happen multiple times per day.  It used to be the case that the router would catch the fault and re-establish a connection on its own.  We still get a few of these, but increasingly it goes like this:

- loss of connection

- router becomes totally unresponsive to intranet access to admin channel and hangs indefinitely

- the only solutions is to power-cycle the router

Has anyone else experienced similar?  We don't have a viable alternative at the moment and are heavily reliant on our connection due to living in a total blackspot (TV, satellite and mobile phone).

Wondering if purchasing a better router would help, but as a starting point was wondering if this is a known issue and if anybody has successfully tackled this.

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router

2 - Serial number: ***

3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet

4 - Board version: F@ST2704N

5 - Mode ADSL

6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:32:13

7 - Data rate: 928/5056

8 - Maximum data rate: 1156/5424

9 - Noise margin: 10.0/12.2

10 - Line attenuation: 27.5/44.5

12 - Data sent/received: 8.5M/161.4M

20 - Broadband username: ***@plusdsl.net

21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: ***

22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 300 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled

23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2

24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

25 - Firewall: Default

26 - MAC Address: ***

27 - Software variant Version 1.0 28 - Boot loader: 7.275.6

Thanks,

Andy

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two posts released from Spam Filter and duplicate removed.

16 REPLIES 16
higgy1981
Rising Star

Re: Connections hangs intermittently

My advice would be to not purchase a new router. I purchased my own router and if anything my connection was less stable.

If you take a look around, the forum is littered with people complaining about dropping connections.

Best of luck getting them to fix it Smiley

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Andy, 

That does in all honesty sound like a potential router problem. 

Can you try factory resetting it for us? You should be able to find info on how to do that here?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
niallcampbell
Grafter

The forum does appear to have quite a number of threads about dropping connections - is it feasible that it is at PN end? 

andy-cox

Thanks for that Adam,

I've performed a factory reset.  Will monitor performance over the next few days...

Andy

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Niall, 

There's not really potential for an ISP level problem that could cause intermittent connection for a number of customers.

I think what you've seen is just customers looking for support which is what the majority of posts on this forum are. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Andy,

A warm welcome to the forums. Those stats indicate that the exchange is trying to manage your line to gain stability. Under normal conditions the DS SNRM should be 6dB. Is the phone line quiet? Dial 17070 option 2 - it should be silent.

Niall,

Xdsl connection stability issues are entirely down to BT Openreach infrastructure. PPP session issues could have an ISP related cause, however generally speaking if the user account is configured correctly in the router, PPP session issue stability is invariably caused by a loss of xdsl session - ie a BTOR issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andy-cox

Hi folks.

The router is still behaving as described following its factory reset.

I did a quiet line test as suggested and there was no audible distortion on the line.  We have had severe crackling in the past, but after several fault not found BTO visits, one engineer did eventually find a dodgy joint and sorted it out.

In any event it is the inability to connect to the router's admin channel which is my main issue at the moment as the potential for diagnosis is significantly limited as a result.

Thanks,

Andy

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I think it would be helpful if you explained more clearly what is the issue you seek to resolve; the title refers to connection, but you last post says "router's admin channel".  What do you mean?  What are you trying to achieve?  How are you trying to do that?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andy-cox

I mean the intranet interface by which the router is configured, which in my case is at: http://192.168.1.254/

Ordinarily I can browse to this address, but in the scenario where the connection freezes it cannot be contacted and my only option is to switch it off and on again.

I nicked the phrase 'admin channel' from an Oracle consultant I once worked with, but it's lazy shorthand for the above.

Thanks,

Andy

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is the computer attached to the router by wifi or an Ethernet cable?

When this happens can you ping the router's address?

After how long of the router being "on-air" does this happen?  I have seen these routers 'shut down' wifi to lan connectivity, albeit still facilitate internet connectivity.

higgy1981
Rising Star

I migrated away (early) from Plusnet today. I am now connected to my new ISP and have had ZERO dropouts as yet.

Its to soon to say for certain, but my previous connection issues seem to be pointing directly at something at the Plusnet end, the router or otherwise.

andy-cox

I connect via wifi and it doesn't respond to ping when unresponsive.  

Will check the physical connection next time it happens before power-cycling...

With regards timing, it's very variable and there's no obvious pattern.

Thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you tried another router?

andy-cox

Not yet, my old BT homehub would be the weapon of choice but that was flakey at best so not sure it would move the issue on particularly.