cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to Service - Becoming Slower and Throttling

welsh_rocker

Connection to Service - Becoming Slower and Throttling

Hi,

Since joining Plusnet last year I have been experiencing ongoing issues with my service which leave me unable to stream videos during certain times of the day due to network throttling leaving the videos buffering or taking ages to load.

Alongside this recently my Plusnet router has disconnected every few days at the same time from the network 1.00am and then resteablished connectiom to the service with the speed profile reduced.

Since December last year my line has dropped from 62mbs to 48.2mbs.

Has anyone else experienced any similar issues?
4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Connection to Service - Becoming Slower and Throttling

@welsh_rocker I doubt it is network 'throttling' - Plusnet have not employed that for some time now. What times of day is this happening?

These late night/early morning 'disconnections' could be BT maintenance, but if as you say the 'speed profile' - exactly what do you mean? - is reduced I suspect some other issue. In order for other Community members to possibly help:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
welsh_rocker

Good Evening Jab,

Streamling services on my line seem to be impacted by buffering and loading issues from 5.00pm through to 11.00pm most days and the only way around this most times is to watch the services via a VPN connection which points to some sort of limit on the local network.

With regards to my Line's Speed's initially where I signed up to Plusnet I had a IP Speed profile of 62mbs, this has been gradually slipping following every reset of my router at the 1.00am timeslot.

I will try the BT line checks shortly and reachout to Tech support tomorrow.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

That timing seems to point to a BT network capacity problem - but I may be wrong. OK on the other points, but there are a number of experienced Community members who could possibly help if you provide the requested information, and possibly quicker than PN Tech support.

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@welsh_rocker wrote:
Hi,

Since joining Plusnet last year I have been experiencing ongoing issues with my service which leave me unable to stream videos during certain times of the day due to network throttling leaving the videos buffering or taking ages to load.

Alongside this recently my Plusnet router has disconnected every few days at the same time from the network 1.00am and then resteablished connectiom to the service with the speed profile reduced.

Since December last year my line has dropped from 62mbs to 48.2mbs.

Has anyone else experienced any similar issues?

Yes!

I am on ADSL 2+ not fibre, so I cannot truly compare. But to me this sounds similar to my experience - my disconnect/reconnect time seemingly being early in the morning around 5am.

My formerly ordinary, unbanded ADSL 2+ line is permanently (and I do mean permanent) at the first and highest banding level. In which I am also slammed right up against the end stops of the highest speed attainable in that band. I must say the line is extremely stable - it doesn't budge under any circumstances - and the error seconds rate is very low.

What happen? Nobody really seems to know...

My original idea was either:

1) There is some kind of underlying fault or condition on my line - but nobody can find out what

OR

2) This is simply 'policy' now -  Plusnet deny this, but it would be BT/Openreach policy not Plusnet policy

I now wonder if it isn't a case of Either/Or, maybe it's both 1 and 2. That is, conditions are different now varying by area/exchange through the country (I blame fibre!) and offering everyone original, unbanded 24Mbps ADSL BB (if you can get that speed - most never would) is too problematical. So, quietly, on an area/exchange basis, due to general 'issues', it has been downgraded to - in my case -  an enforced 14Mbps broadband. I know my line CAN work a bit higher but, as it is advertised by Openreach as up to 14Mbps it simply isn't allowed to, by permanent banding.

It's just a theory - but unless someone can convince me otherwise I'm sticking with it!

Similar now with fibre?