cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection still Terrible

Daffy101
Dabbler

Connection still Terrible

The line test was completed 2 days ago which shows the line to be okay but there is still no improvement in my speed. I have tested and replaced everything my end from the socket back and am presently running on the test socket with no change at all in speed. I'm just wondering if there is anything else that can be done like a proper physical test of the line as i had this problem a few years ago and the testing system reported the line as fine when in fact the wires in the exchange were damaged.
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Connection still Terrible

Are you saying that you are seeing no improvement in the speeds reported by speed tests or that the sync speed, attenuation and noise margin are the similar?
After making changes to your setup it takes the stupid BT systems up to 5 days (typically 3) to recognise the change and alter your IP Profile upwards and a further up to 12 hours for the PN speed shown on the portal to change. Only then will you see improvements in speed tests.
If the changes you have made mean that the BT systems can reduce the target noise margin which will then mean that your router will be able to sync at a higher speed. This process can take several weeks.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Daffy101
Dabbler

All the tests done show that my line is exactly as it should be when it is working okay and this will soon be the start of the second  week i have had the problem. All that happens when i chase it is that they run another test which again shows the line to be fine - which it is clearly not. The line seems to be to be throttled (restricted)to 340kbps as this is the constant rate at which it now connects at any time of the day or night. I have made no changes to my set up and have only used items to test to see if it was a problem my end after all this started and in fact my network is now back to the original setup as even the plusnet helpline operator said it wasn't an internal problem in my house but was then unable to do much more. The SNR downstream is 14db and the upstream is 23db and they have roughly around those figures for almost the entire time i have had broadband (which is about 6 years) and the sync speeds are similar 7616 downstream 448k upstream the first test on the 9th shows and the next one on the 14th shows identical speeds.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does the BT speed test currently say for your IP Profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Daffy101
Dabbler

I am unable to run the BT speedtest as i does not recognise my telephone number or the two service ID's that plusnet kindly supplied me I have used the tester here sucessfully for 3 other peoples details but in a week of trying my number it has failed everytime with the following screen and hasn't even allowed me to get to the second stage where it asks for your login details. EDIT# just looking at the details after the problem was fixed over a year ago and the downstream attenuation these are my results from my router and not the plusnet test
DSL Status:          ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 1
DSL Mode:            G.DMT
DSL Channel:         INTR
DSL Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 7616 Kbps
                                          Down         up    
DSL Noise Margin:       13.6 dB      25.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:           16.0 dB        9.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.8 dBm   11.9 dBm
I am trying to find out how to use a data logger at the moment to try to get a days worth of data

pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you definitely connected to you router and not a neighbours?
Daffy101
Dabbler

Its a wired connection so i can't see how i would be able to connect to my neighbours router and i disabled the wireless to test 5 days ago so no one is connecting to mine and have even reinstalled windows 7 to make sure it wasn't a software problem. I believe that my connection has actually been throttled by either plusnet or BT as no one can seem to find any faults through the automatic test which they run every time i call trying to progress this problem.
Daffy101
Dabbler

The connection seems a little faster today but the only difference is the downstream SNR which used to be closer to 10db before i started have all these problems.
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 1
DSL Mode:            G.DMT
DSL Channel:        INTR
DSL Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 7616 Kbps
                                        Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    12.8 dB      25.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:        16.0 dB      9.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.8 dBm    11.9 dBm
Daffy101
Dabbler

Still no change to my connection the automated test says its fine yet my connection is roughly 1/20th the speed it used to be with no explaination from either BT or plusnet what they are actually going to try next. This situation will soon be running into its third week and frankly its getting very frustrating as i am paying over £20 a month for a service that barely copes with facebook and god forbid i have any windows or software updates.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Daffy101,
I understand you've talked to one of our faults agents this afternoon - I hope that's reassured you that we have everything in hand. Please let us know if there are any further delays and we'll give things a kick for you.
Daffy101
Dabbler

Nothing yet and it is now the start of the third week i have had problems. I have noticed your exchange problem lister tells me that 01206 numbers are on the burnham crouch exchange which is in norflok (roughly 100+ miles away). Dunno but seems a little odd maybe thats why the bt speedtest fails.
Daffy101
Dabbler

I am leaving plusnet had enough of getting repeated automatic line tests that show nothing wrong and then your support staff taking me through the same procedures that i did before i even contacted you. A problem now i'm being told that i will most likely have to stump up £160+vat to get a BT engineer to call which is funny as they only replaced the wiring and socket for me in september last year.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

since when has burnham-on-crouch been in Norfolk, it is only a short distance from Colchester phone code 01206 , Suggest you get a map
Quote from: Daffy101
Nothing yet and it is now the start of the third week i have had problems. I have noticed your exchange problem lister tells me that 01206 numbers are on the burnham crouch exchange which is in norflok (roughly 100+ miles away). Dunno but seems a little odd maybe thats why the bt speedtest fails.