cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection steadily getting worse after 2 weeks on FTTC

Incom

Connection steadily getting worse after 2 weeks on FTTC

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice or anyone has had a similar experience.
My FTTC was installed just over 2 weeks ago. The BT broadband availability checker indicated I should get between 47.8 and 65Mbps down and between 12.7 and 19.2Mbps up. The speeds I was getting for the first couple of weeks after install were around 50Mbps down and 8.9Mbps up. The upload was a little slower than I had hoped but still a massive improvement over my old connection. It also seemed very stable.
Then suddenly a couple of days ago my downstream speed dropped by about 20% to 40Mbps - this seems like an alarmingly large drop. Also I've noticed the average latency has shot up as well.
This is the connection graph on the 9th of May
See the fairly low average latency (about 16ms)
This is for today - 24th of May
Higher average latency - (about 24ms)
Anyone any ideas what could be causing it? Any advice is much appreciated!
Edit* Some additional info: Running the BT Speedtester and Diagnostics page it says "IP Profile for your line is - 43.76 Mbps" Seems odd considering I was getting a stable 50Mbps previously. Could it have been the rebooting of the modem that has caused the IP Profile to drop? It has been off due to a short power cut, me moving some furniture and having to unplug it briefly and the swapping over of the router with a replacement that plusnet sent.
Thanks
Simon
2 REPLIES 2
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connection steadily getting worse after 2 weeks on FTTC

Hi Incom,
Welcome to the Forums and sorry to hear you've had a drop in speed!
I can see that you've raised a fault on Ticket:84625567
Our Faults team will be back in touch as soon as possible once they've carried out an investigation.
I'm assuming you're connecting via an Ethernet cable when running the speed tester, right?
Incom

Re: Connection steadily getting worse after 2 weeks on FTTC

Hi,
Yes I am.