cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speeds dropping lower and lower

greenleader

Connection speeds dropping lower and lower

Hello
I have been with PlusNet for a couple of years and before that I had Virgin ADSL (having moved to a new build home which had no Virgin cable).
Once I moved in I synced up at about 7.5Mbit, things went wonky, Virgin sent someone from BT Openworld who fixed things outside the property and things were great, solid connection.
I joined PlusNet and synced up at 6.8 - 7mbit. About 8 months ago this started to drop to around 6.5 and has progressed down to about 4.4, it has hit as low as 3.8 !
I have the same phone, tried new filters etc. Using master socket, linked with Ethernet cable, no viruses etc.
My neighbours suffered a similar problem, BT Openworld came yesterday and left and then came back having been to exchange and cabinet and now they are syncing up near 8000KBPS, they are on Sky. Sky engineer checked everything internally and all was sound.
Can anyone help me from Plusnet?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
greenleader

Re: Connection speeds dropping lower and lower

I don't know if this helps? From today.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forum.  That is a good start - the other information requested on the speed issues thread (link below) would be helpful please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Some line stats below, although there are some errors showing the loop loss and speed aren't too far away from what I'd expect. Would you be able to plug in to the test socket and post up the connection stats from your router (see the link in Townman's signature) once you've done that.
Loop Loss: 47.5
SNR Margin:  7.3
Speed: 443 5259
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 76
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris - thanks.
@greenleader - also can you please check the phone line for noise.  From the master socket, dial 17070 option 2 using a corded handset. It should be darned near silent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greenleader

Hello, Thanks guys.
Tonight I will try to run the check from the test socket, I did a speed test and checked sync as well a few months back and it was not much different.
When I was leaving work this morning my other neighbour had a BT open world engineer there and I asked what was going on. He said that while the exchange upgraded for fibre the speeds or "profiles" were turned down and never set back hence everyone running slower. I will ask her when I get home if she is syncing back up around 7 or not.
I was recently offered a new contract with PlusNet, which I have 14 days to cancel. They say that "Estimated line speed:
8Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb)". I am a bit away from that, which is a bit sad considering the price of the line and the broadband have both increased. Realistically if my line is capped at 5MB then I wont ever get what is being suggest?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It never ceases to amaze me the stories BTOR engineers tell  ;D. "The profiles were turned down!"  Cheesy Crazy
What might be nearer the truth is that when the FTTC upgrades were installed no additional capacity between the exchange and the rest of the web was installed, consequently the speed of DATA transfer has been impacted for everyone by the few receiving higher delivery speeds.
Setting that aside, your problem rather looks like one (initially) restricted to the home to the exchange network.  It also looks like the BTOR darabase records for your line are wrong.  If the line attenuation (loop loss) reported by Chris is correct your line is never going to SYNCH faster than 7Mbps.
Right now the attention needs to be on identifying the source of the very low MTBE figure on your line.  Given your neighbour also has bb speed issues, there is the possibility of a shared cable fault.

greenleader

Oh Ok. Yeah all my neighbours have had the same problem, its 5 flats so its stands to reason that maybe one cable runs down or around to the cabinet?
dick:quote
greenleader

Thanks for your help.
When I am trying to get to connection Stats, does that mean I need to download the router stats program? Think I got it:
          Uptime: 0 days, 0:04:19    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5   
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 5,639   
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.91 / 11.07   
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0   
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.3 / 47.5   
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.9 / 6.4   
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN   
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0   
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0   
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0   
Loss of Link (Remote): -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7 generateTasks() 
Does that make any sense!?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi GL,
No - routerstats will only be required if we need to dig deeper.  That above is exactly what we need.
The one off stats look reasonably OK, however there is no indication of the connection time here - does your router report this?  The stats are different (a little better) to those reported by Chris earlier in the day, implying a resynch.  The synch speed is still a little lower than it could be, but not significantly out of line.
Can you please do the checks we outline earlier please?

greenleader

Hi Townman,
I did the phone thing and listened, was that right? There was a very low buzz, maybe that was the phone?
What are the connection stats in the link? I think that's everything?
Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Was that a corded phone?
Was that buzz "50Hz hum" similar to that which can be heard with some electrical company?
Was the router plugged into the line when you heard that buzzing?  Try unplugging the router and see if it is still there.

greenleader

Hi Townsman
I do not have a corded phone. I will try it again when I get back home and see if no router makes a difference.
Thanks for the help.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If there's still noise on the line when you test we should try and get that sorted first, let us know how it goes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.