Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed: none found!!

malairt
Dabbler

Re: Connection speed: none found!!

Hi guys
My broadband connection is now down completely.  I disconnected the router from the phone line while I reorganised my office and when I reconnected, er, nothing. 
The router says the connection is down and both the DSL and Internet lights are off.
Can you please do something to get me back up.
malairt
Dabbler

My sincere apologies - I had the filter in the wrong place.  It's working now, albeit slowly.
wobble
Dabbler

Sadly I can't help you, but I can sympathize. I have had a similar sounding problem for two months now - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58935.0.html
Regarding running the BT speedtests, you might find that your DNS settings need to be updated when you connect using the bt_test_user account for the second test - either that or use the IP address - 217.35.209.142
James
Grafter

Hi Malairt,
Can I ask you to try rebooting your router now that you have moved your filtering devices?
If you could then run a speedtest from http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk I would be interested to see what sort of results you are now getting.
I would be hopeful for this to be in the region of 2000-2500Kbps based on your current profiled level.
malairt
Dabbler

@Jameseh:  Good Glasgow name that! 
As suggested I rebooted the router and the PC and ran the BT Speedtester.  Results are:
IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3520 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2740 kbps

And the winner is.......me!
I guess that's a good result?  Thanks for your efforts.
@Wobble:  I've watched your thread with interest.  Best of luc ::)k.
Cheers
James
Grafter

Hi again.
For your current IP Profile, that is indeed a pretty good result.  If your IP Profile improves further, you should notice a subsequent uplift in speed.
Btw - Noone will be getting the none found error ever again.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
malairt
Dabbler

I'm back down to 141 kbps.  As suggested I reported a line fault to BT who can't see anything wrong with it.  They've told me to take the faceplate off my master socket and connect to the test socket, which I'll do when I find a screwdriver.
James
Grafter

Thanks Malairt,
Let us know how you get on.
Interestingly I've not heard BT Retail offer that (good) advice before.
malairt
Dabbler

OK.  Connecting to the BT test socket gives me 150kbps down on the BT speedtest.
Just out of interest I tried the thinkbroadband.com speedtester which shows 141 down and 295 up (sic).  Weird.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Running a speedtest immediately after changing something will tell you nothing.
BT set a profile which limits your speed, only after you have synced at higher speed for around three days will they raise your profile and you will then see better results on speed tests.
You have to compare the speed your router/modem is syncing at to tell if you have improved things.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
malairt
Dabbler

Mmmm.  Well I've only done what BT asked me to do.
WHat is the sync rate?  These are the figures my router is reporting, which haven't iirc changed since this whole thing started.
DSL Status:  Up   
      DSL Modulation Mode:  GDMT   
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED   
      Downstream Rate:  7648 Kbps   
      Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps   
      Downstream Margin:  3 db   
      Upstream Margin:  23 db   
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  41   
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  22   
      Downstream Transmit Power:  0   
      Upstream Transmit Power:  0

Is that what you mean?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The significant bit is:
Downstream Rate:  7648 Kbps
As that is so high I'm guessing that you've had some sort of interference or intermittent connection that has forced BT to set you a low profile. If you try putting things back to as they were and check the downstream rate again that will tell you if you have a problem with your internal wiring, filter etc. - you have got everything on every extension filtered I hope! (That includes things like alarms and Sky boxes)
You can find your current IP profile by running the BT speedtest: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ It sometimes takes a few goes to get it to run and I've found it won't run in Firefox.
If you stay connected at that higher speed your speedtest results will shoot up in a few days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
malairt
Dabbler

As I said, that downstream figure has always been that high.  Early on I reported 7150 kbp, although actually achieving 180.
The master socket has a doubler on it.  1 has a filter plugged into it which feeds the master wireless phone.  The other has an extension lead plugged into it which runs up the stairs to my office.  This has a filter plugged into the end of it with a phone line to my desk and the adsl line to my router.  There's nothing else: no Sky, alarms, fax, dead rabbit etc.
Previously the router was plugged in downstairs but the wireless LAN conection wasn't so good so I bought the extension and moved the router upstairs.  I didn't notice any difference in performance at the time.
malairt
Dabbler

Maybe a duff filter?
I've just changed the filter in the office.  No change in speed.
Just for a laugh I then rebooted the pc and the router and reran the speedtest.  I'm now getting 2367 kbps down and 227 up.