Connection speed halved

zebbedi
Grafter

Re: Connection speed halved

Many Thanks
zebbedi
Grafter

So the engineer came and put me on a different cable between the cabinet and the exchange. He spent quite some time trying to work out what was wrong. Sync has improved and is nearly 2meg but still not as fast as my neighbour which is odd.
My plus net profile is also wrong so I'm being capped. Please could it be bumped?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Has your attenuation changed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zebbedi
Grafter

Yes it went from 64 down to 58.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's very promising - the same as your neighbour.
Have you run the BT diagnostic test - what's your IP Profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Morning zebbedi,
I've just checked your profile on our side, and you're in no way being capped. At the moment it's set at 21000 by my colleague you spoke to this morning.
I'm guessing there are still some issues on your line, you're currently syncing at below 2Mbps - Still showing a few errors on there. I assume you've re-sync'd whilst the engineer was there?
so at the moment, we're at the mercy of your connection sync speed in order to gain a faster connection profile.
Regards,
Matt
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some current stats preferably including error figures could be useful.
zebbedi
Grafter

My plusnet profile was stuck on 0.9. I called customer services this morning to try to get it bumped. The lady didn't know what an IP profile was. I explained, she originally set it to 2Mb. Then asked if I wanted to know my stats to which I said yes. She then came back and said it had to go on to a 1.6Mb. Earlier BT wholesale was reporting my profile at around 1.83 so I asked if she could put  to 2Mb as 1.6 seemed ever so slightly low. She huffed and puffed lots, and put me hold on several times. Unfortunately whilst I was on hold my mobile cut out (I've not tried plugging my land line back in yet) and she seems to have rather childishly put my profile at plus nets end up to 21Mb after me saying 2Mb wouldn't hurt. Extremely unhelpful when you're having problems. I only wanted 2Mb whilst the line sorts itself out.
Unfortunately i don't seem to be able to do another BT speedtest as it wants me to login using their BT username/password to perform further diagnostics.
Latest stats, and yes as of today there are alot of CRC errors again. Yesterday it was up to 2000 sync speed.
ADSL Information       ( ADSL Firmware Version:  232201_A)
  ATM Statistics TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
                  2899556     8867219         0           38911
  ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2(G.992.3) SHOWTIME 799920 1911864 6 59

One query...... the BT engineer got plusnet to fix my SNR at 9db. After rewiring at the cabinet he got it dropped back to 6db. Is this now a fixed rate? Would it help to remove the fixed rate or is that not possible?
Anotherone
Champion

Do you know what the Uptime is for those errors?
I wouldn't worry about the Target SNRM for now, if your line is stable and the errors are low enough at 6dB, then the Exchange DLM may automatically lower it if it's not fixed, however your line may be in training in any event after the engineers work.
Your neighbours line has a lot of errors as well. Were his stats that you posted taken in daylight or after dark?
zebbedi
Grafter

Errrm......... not sure. Not very long.
It's reconnected since then i assume, and uptime is currently 3.5 hours and there are 21885 CRC errors.
My neighbours stats were done during the middle of a Sunday.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, that's not too good with those errors. There's most likely still a fault present as Mattz0r suggested.
Is your phone a corded one or a cordless?
Since the engineer visit, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
zebbedi
Grafter

It's a cordless phone, but for the last week or two it's not been plugged in as it caused the internet to drop. The SNR would just dip to about 2db and I wouldn't be able to use the internet. The BT engineer yesterday didn't even look at that despite me saying. I've left it unplugged as I wanted the internet to stabilise first. I'm still plugged in to the test socket.
The line has always been noisy. BT engineer rewired it last year and fitted a filtered face plate. It's quite a long line. Apparently there are two cables between the cabinet and the exchange. Everyone in my street is on 1 of those cables except my neighbour as he has been through numerous engineers as well. As such my engineer checked the other cable and found it to be much better, so he swapped me over to that one. He said something about the older cable being 0.2mm or 2mm copper and the new one being 0.6mm or 6mm copper. (can't remember which).
Anotherone
Champion

0.2mm  Huh  that's possibly the x-section area of the cable in sq.mm which is more typically referred to as 0.5mm diameter copper cable. There are some new cables on long runs (more typically rural) that are using 0.6/0.65 sq.mm x-section - 0.9mm diameter copper cable. But there is also 0.6mm diameter copper as well!
If you have a spare filter, try double filtering the cordless phone (NOT the modem/router) ie modem/router into first filter into socket. Second filter into first filter, phone into second filter.
zebbedi
Grafter

Yeah i can't remember if it was 0. something or not. Either way the newer cable is bigger apparently.
I'll try the second filter if it sorts itself out.
I just ssh'd into the router, here's a few more figures.
> adsl status
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            : ADSL2(G.992.3)      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  1911864 bps  US Actual Rate      :  799920 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      :  1944000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  800000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode        :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :      59 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :        6  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    16. 5 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 5  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 232201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :      34 dB    Far SNR Margin      :        6  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00004946      CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >