cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed halved

zebbedi
Grafter

Connection speed halved

My connection appears to have halved in speed recently. It used to sync at ~1600 but has now dropped to ~755. Please could someone have a look to see if there is any reason for it? My connection has never been quite right since moving to this property, and always been very poor. A neighbour from the exact same telegraph pole gets 2mbit on ADSL and i only get 1600 on ADSL2+.  I'm plugged directly into the master socket, which BT fitted a filtered face plate to. I have no other connections. I have tried the test socket with the same result, and tried my old router with the same result too.

Router stats:
ATM Statistics TX Cells       RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
                          373508       2904362 0                 1
  ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2(G.992.3) SHOWTIME 669018         755809         7                 66

BT Speedtest:
Download Speed (Mbps):  0.64
Upload (Mbps): 0.43
Ping Latency (ms):  40.88

Plus.net profile:
Current line speed:
0.8 Mb
41 REPLIES 41
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Connection speed halved

You are currently on ADSL2 (g992.3) rather than ADSL2+ (g992.5)
If your neighbour is getting better speeds on ADSL (g992.1) it could be that you could force a similar connection on yours, although I am already drifting out of my rather limited knowledge zone here - others will no doubt be along to advise further.
zebbedi
Grafter

I used to be on ADSL but only ever got 0.7mb despite my neighbour getting 2mb. Moved to ADSL2 and it went up to 1.6mb. Now it's dropped back down again in the last 2 days.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi zebbedi,
I've checked over your and can see that that your speed has dropped since from the 5th March., I'd suggest running through our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net so we can take a further look into that.
zebbedi
Grafter

Great response from plusnet customer services. They claim everything is ok and the speed drop is still within estimated speeds despite the fact it was twice as fast for months.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I couldn't agree with you more. Something has definitely caused your speeds to drop, as well as the quality of your line. The actual quality of your line has improved recently so I do think that a reset on your line would probably resolve that issue for you.
What worries me though, does this happen when there is poor weather? If this is the case, we may need to take a closer look at things. I would be more than happy to place a reset for you to see if this pushes those speeds back up for you?
I'm really sorry for the response that you have got from the fault that's been raised, it's sometimes a little too easy to look at what the estimates are rather than look at what your line can actually achieve. I'll take that on board and feed that back to the Fault Team Leaders.
Would you be happy to place a reset on the line for you?
zebbedi
Grafter

Chris,
Many thanks for your kind response. Previously it hasn't appeared to drop based on weather. In fact up until recently the router was on average reporting connection durations of over a week without issue. For some reason just before the weekend, sync speed dropped. When you only have a connection as bad as this, going from 1.6mbit to 0.7 makes quite a difference to the point where it's virtually unusable.
I too noticed the slight improvement, and given that the SNR had changed, was hoping it would recover. Unfortunately it seems quite unstable at the moment with daily disconnections. If you look at the attached image you will see the routers stats for the last year. You will notice in November we upgraded to ADSL2 and now it's lower than it was before when we were on ADSL. I'm sure your logs are more accurate but it definitely seems like something has changed.
Will resetting the line put it back into training? If you think it would help then yes please go ahead and reset the line.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I've placed a SNR reset, this will take up-to 4 hours to take effect. Your line will then be placed into a 10 day training period.
We'll need to monitor it over the next few days and see how it goes.

zebbedi
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Looks like it's kicked in. Currently sync'd at 1079757. Will see what happens.
zebbedi
Grafter

Well, i'm not sure if the training is over or not. My router remained connected and stable for about ~150 hours but didn't increase in sync speed above 1079757. This morning i rebooted it to try and see if it would bump up and it remained the same.
So again i've removed the BT filter plate that BT fitted last year and plugged directly in to the test socket. The sync speed has gone up slightly, but i'm back to the same fault I had 12 months ago (which BT resolved by rewiring and fitting the filter plate) in that I can't plug my phone in without the internet dropping out, and it appears to be really unstable, and i'm getting insane amounts of CRC errors (53,000 in 10 minutes). The sync speed increased slightly but is sat at 1143771.
I also went to my neighbours house last weekend and got his router stats. His phone line comes from the exact same pole outside my house (10 meters away). He is on ADSL and gets a higher speed (2.4Mbps) than I have ever achieved since living here on ADSL or ADSL2. I've attached his router stats.
What should I do next?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The training period has finished yesterday, I'm going to get this raised with our suppliers and we'll give you an update as soon as we get a response.
zebbedi
Grafter

Chris this is getting really frustrating that it's taking so long.
So far it's taken 2 days since you raising it with the suppliers just for plusnet to contact me to arrange an engineer visit. Can you please jig things along a bit. My internet has been virtually unusable for weeks now.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks as though it's just taken a little bit longer as we wanted to check that all of the internal checks have been completed, which we are now aware that they have been.
I can pick this up for you and book an engineer? Will you be available on Saturday for an engineer as there is no availability for tomorrow, Friday or Monday unfortunately.
zebbedi
Grafter

Chris, thanks for your time on this.
Yes Saturday is fine for me. Thanks. Sorry forgot Monday was a bank holiday.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, that's booked in for you. I'll update your ticket now.