cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed dropped by ~1/3 from 45mbps to 16mbps

JJS

Connection speed dropped by ~1/3 from 45mbps to 16mbps

Hi Everyone,

Coming here to seek advice/help on this. We've been in our house since December and since then we've had wildly fluctuating speeds. Our line at the time suggested we should be getting speeds between 45-52mbps, but we were consistently getting below the MGS at the time (think it was ~36mbps).

We had an engineer out previously (Think it was about february?) who replaced our socket with the latest version and we were getting 43mbps and all was good with it.

In the last week it's dropped drastically. Right now I'm getting speeds of 16mbps with a wired connection directly to the modem. I've ran the BTWholesale test and the speed is 16.92mbps, which puts us below what is the current MGS listed for our account. Our line profile maximum is also 18.52mbps apparently.

This seems like a recent problem and I'm just looking to see what's happening, any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Connection speed dropped by ~1/3 from 45mbps to 16mbps

@JJS Welcome to the forums. Hopefully one of the Help Team will pick this up, but -

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
JJS

Cheers for the links. Here's the one for the BT Broadband site and the downloaded reported from the Wholesale performance tester is in the first post.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 094449.png

And here's a screenshot from the modem page

Screenshot 2022-04-20 095541.png

I've previously done the Quiet Line Test with the first engineer and everything was fine, so it does seem to be broadband based. Annoyingly we don't have a phone line anymore (Gen Y for you!) so I can't test it right now but 1-2 months ago there was no issue.

Thanks for the help!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

OK @JJS That is definitely not good - I would report a fault at https://faults.plus.net . Note that a line reporting OK 1-2 months ago could develop a fault minutes later - a basic phone is an essential basic tool until everyone is on FTTP.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @JJS, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry that you're having some issues with your speed and that they have dropped again since your engineer visit earlier in the year. I'd like to do what I can to help here!

I've tested your line and it looks like this is 'banded' and so I have first requested for this to be lifted and have updated your fault ticket here with further info: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=223750206

This can take 3 working days for it to update once we raise it to our suppliers. 

Let us know how things go. I'm really sorry for the hassle this causes in the meantime. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
JJS

Hi Lauren, thanks for this. Is there any particular reason why this would happen? Just trying to think what may have caused it and try to avoid it in future.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @JJS, it'll usually occur if there is/ has been a line fault or if there's some intermittency on the line. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team