Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed and now dial tone

cactusj
Dabbler

Connection speed and now dial tone

Hello
Problem 1:
After my Plusnet broadband was upgraded to  fibre on Friday, I posted on the forum on Friday morning, indicating that the upload speed was 17Mb and the download speed 20Mb. This was not in line with the estimated speeds...
Chris tweaked the profile, and I achieved 37Mb download and 18MB upload speeds (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3691156663). This seemed in line with the promised 40MB/20MB speeds.
As of tonight, I have a 30MB download speed and a 3MB upload speed... something appears to have gone wrong with my profile again?
Chris, please can you look at the profile again and put it back to the 37Mb download and 18Mb upload? I had upgraded to fibre mainly for the upload speed.
When going to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed, the following is reported:
Phone exchange:
PINNER
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-15 11:24:42
Current line speed:
76.4 Mb
That doesn't seem right....

Problem 2:
I have opened a ticket with Plusnet (Question #90252171) - we have no dial tone at home since the engineer upgraded our connection to fibre on Friday... We can't make calls. We can't receive calls either. When ringing the landline number from the mobile, you can hear it ringing on the mobile, but the house phone does not ring.
I have tried three phones.
17 REPLIES 17
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Connection speed and now dial tone

Sounds to me like the engineer failed to properly connect the jumpering in the Cab  This could be the cause of your speed drop if your end of the line is open or connected to the wrong thing. Is the line completely dead or is there any background noise?
Leaving that aside, the Current Line speed is initially set at a high default value which will subsequently be updated to the current BT profile when the data passes from the BT servers to Plusnet. This doesn't happen immediately.
Did your installation engineer test the line with a hand-held tester (JDSU) before he connected the Modem? Was it actually an Openreach engineer or was it a sub-contractor?
cactusj
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone
Thanks for the amazingly fast reply - very much appreciated.
The line seems to be very much dead with no background noise.
Regarding the speed drop - it was low when the engineer was done, but then up to expected levels once Chris tweaked the profile, it seemed fine for 2 days - before dropping significantly yesterday (I restarted the router yesterday when looking into the landline issue - so perhaps that has caused it). So I am wondering if the speed drop is related to the dead landline - given that the landline has been dead since Friday.
The engineer did have a handheld device of some kind - which was connected to the phone socket - before he connected the modem. My apologies - my technical knowledge is not good here.
It did not appear to be an Openreach engineer. The van looked like it was a subcontractor's van.
dick:quote
cactusj
Dabbler

At this point, I am more desperate for the expected upload speed again (18-20Mb), despite the dead landline being very annoying.
I ran the BT Performance test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) - which reveals:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwUmDqSuroqaYUF0WV82WXNNbFk/edit?usp=sharing
Interestingly, it says that I can reach a max upload speed of 20Mb Smiley That gives me hope.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry you will be disappointed
The IP profile for upload speed is always set at 20Mbps on your product regardless of the sync speed
I would guess that if the download  Profile is accurate - and not screwed up by the problem - you won't get much better than about 8Mbps
However given the earlier results something has gone badly wrong with both upload and download speeds and it will need an engineer to sort
GeordieMark
Grafter

Yep mine shows an upload profile of 20Mbps but I only sync at 6 Sad
AndyH
Grafter

I've never seen an inverted acceptable speed range (60Mbps - 31.58Mbps) on the BT Wholesale Performance tester.
I'm not quite sure whether this gets reported as a fibre and/or telephone fault. It does look like Openreach need to go through the install again though.
cactusj
Dabbler

For any Plusnet staff on the forum currently - any chance of a profile tweak please? (similar to what Chris did on Friday).
To see if that at least gets the upload speed back on track.
Anotherone
Champion

Any progress on Question #90252171? There'll be little point in tweaking profiles that will likely just go back to where they are now, until the line is fixed.
cactusj
Dabbler

Plusnet have yet to reply.  I have been updating the question with further bits of information as discussed in this thread...
Anotherone
Champion

Oops, that's probably sent the ticket to the back of the queue, another crazy bug that PN HAVE to sort Roll_eyes
cactusj
Dabbler

Yikes!!
Thanks for that. I will avoid posting any more replies in the ticket
cactusj
Dabbler

Progress 🙂
BT have replied to me - I reported the fault online.
I am scared though about the potential charge mentioned at the end - given everything was working before the engineer came!!

Thank you for telling us about a fault on your phone line  on bt.com. I’m sorry you’re having problems. 

I’ve tested your line and I think there’s a problem on our network just outside your home. I’m sorry about that – I’ve passed the fault to our engineers to look into straight away. They should fix it by the end of the day on 22/08/2014 17:00 . At the moment, it looks like they won’t need to get into to your home – but if that changes, we’ll be in touch to arrange it.

The visit will be completely free – unless the engineer finds our network has been damaged inside or outside your home but within the boundary of your property. If that happens the visit will cost £129.99 .
cactusj
Dabbler

Plusnet have replied - having looked at this thread.
The summary is:
- I need to take up the phone line issue with BT
- Once BT resolve this, they can look at the upload/download speeds.
My response to Plusnet was::
I understand that they are not my phone provider.
However, the fault occurred after the engineer completed the fibre installation - an engineer commissioned by Plusnet.
My concern, is that I should surely not be held liable for any BT charges or expenses, given an error initiated by Plusnet.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cactusj,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your FTTC speeds.
As you're not a Plusnet customer for phone I can't advise about BT's charging for the engineer attending and you've raised a Phone Fault ticket with us even though we're not your phone provider. If you're unsure about the charge then ask BT to clarify if the engineer who attended to install FTTC caused the issue will you get charge? We commission the engineers from BT Openreach as BT own and maintain the network and they're the same engineers that BT use.
Chances are that the phone fault is causing the decrease in your FTTC speeds. Once the phone fault is fixed we can have a look at your speeds if they haven't improved. Please update us with the progress of your phone fault with BT.