Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection setting query

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Connection setting query

I’m using Mac OS 10.11.1 (El Capitan) and receiving a wireless signal via a TP-Link modem (in bridge mode) and an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. The modem is ancient and fading and I've got a new Draytek Vigor 130. By default the latter is configured to pass through a PPPoE connection. My Airport Extreme is currently connecting via DHCP though I understand I have a static IP address. Can I change this connection setting on the Airport Extreme to PPPoE? Or do I have to maintain that setting and change the default settings from PPPoE on the Draytek?
If this suggests I’m fairly clueless on this subject it’s because I am. Advice gratefully received.
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Connection setting query

Seeing as no-one else has responded I''l try and help.
You should be able to just change the connection setting on the Extreme to PPPoE and input your Plusnet details ( the same ones you presumably have already entered into the Tp Link.
As to the static IP, don't worry, the IP is allocated by the PPPoE connection. All that having a static IP means is that it will always allocate the same one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ajax
Rising Star

Many thanks. Can I press you on one aspect before attempting this? Do I also have to change settings in System Preferences > Network?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do I also have to change settings in System Preferences > Network?
I'm not sure where you mean ? in the Extreme ?
TBH I'm not that familiar with the Extreme. You shouldn't need to change anything other than the WAN setting from DHCP to PPPoE

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ajax
Rising Star

No, I was referring to the Mac OS System Preferences on the computer, neglecting to bear in mind you may not be a Mac user. I'll just follow your instructions and see how I get on. Thanks again.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No, I'm not a Mac user I'm afraid but you shouldn't need to do anything on it. It will see no difference in it's connection to the Extreme.