cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection setting query

ajax
Grafter

Connection setting query

I’m using Mac OS 10.11.1 (El Capitan) and receiving a wireless signal via a TP-Link modem (in bridge mode) and an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. The modem is ancient and fading and I've got a new Draytek Vigor 130. By default the latter is configured to pass through a PPPoE connection. My Airport Extreme is currently connecting via DHCP though I understand I have a static IP address. Can I change this connection setting on the Airport Extreme to PPPoE? Or do I have to maintain that setting and change the default settings from PPPoE on the Draytek?
If this suggests I’m fairly clueless on this subject it’s because I am. Advice gratefully received.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 46

Re: Connection setting query

Seeing as no-one else has responded I''l try and help.
You should be able to just change the connection setting on the Extreme to PPPoE and input your Plusnet details ( the same ones you presumably have already entered into the Tp Link.
As to the static IP, don't worry, the IP is allocated by the PPPoE connection. All that having a static IP means is that it will always allocate the same one.
ajax
Grafter

Many thanks. Can I press you on one aspect before attempting this? Do I also have to change settings in System Preferences > Network?
Community Veteran

Do I also have to change settings in System Preferences > Network?
I'm not sure where you mean ? in the Extreme ?
TBH I'm not that familiar with the Extreme. You shouldn't need to change anything other than the WAN setting from DHCP to PPPoE
ajax
Grafter

No, I was referring to the Mac OS System Preferences on the computer, neglecting to bear in mind you may not be a Mac user. I'll just follow your instructions and see how I get on. Thanks again.
Community Veteran

No, I'm not a Mac user I'm afraid but you shouldn't need to do anything on it. It will see no difference in it's connection to the Extreme.