cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection "half" dropping. D-LINK DSL-G604T

rleyshon

Connection "half" dropping. D-LINK DSL-G604T

I've been having this really odd issue for months now but just kind of lived with it.  Every now and again my connection will "half" drop.  In other words only certain things stop working such as web browsing (any and all websites), e-mail, instant messaging.  However other things such as on-line gaming (Final Fantasy Online, specifically) and torrents continue to run without any interruption.
I am assuming it is some kind of router problem but at the moment I'm unable to check my connection using a different modem/router.  It is a D-LINK DSL-G604T with the latest firmware.  I know at least it's not specific to my PC as it happens to all my systems across the network.
I have never been able to trigger the connection loss it just happens randomly, I could be connected for 1hr or 500hrs before it bottoms out.
Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Connection "half" dropping. D-LINK DSL-G604T

Are torrents always running when this happens? I've seen a few examples where the sheer amount of simultaneous threads has flooded customers' routers and caused symptoms similar to those you describe.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rleyshon

It can happen at any given time regardless of what's running.
OldDave
Grafter

Is you router running hot? - I've got a DSL-G604T after  reorganised my PC desk I tucked the router into a corner, where it had inadequate ventilation, and started getting odd connection problems.
Once I moved it no probs
The top of the router should be slightly warm when it was in the corner the top was hot.