cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems

nickleback

Connection problems

Hi,
I have just developed a problem which sounds identical to a member whose message I came across when looking for ideas in an attempt to solve it:
"I used to be able to connect to the server from Outlook by pressing Send/Receive - now this no longer works and I get the following error message (or variations on it: there've been 2 or 3 variations on the error number):
Task 'mail.plus.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"
The result being I cannot send or receive mail. I have tried the solution which appears to have worked for this member, i.e. change setting to "connect using phone line" but without success. I can connect to the internet without any problems. I use Outlook Express. Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Connection problems

Hi there,
Can you confirm that the server name that you are using is "mail.plus.net" ?
Are you able to connect to the internet and browse webpages when you are getting the same problem?
nickleback

Hi,
yes, I'm using mail.plus.net
I have been able to continue browsing web pages without any issues
James
Grafter

Thanks.
Can you tell me what happens when you open a command prompt and type:
telnet mail.plus.net 110
nickleback

Sorry James, but I'm fairly new to this and I'll have to ask for a little more guidance on how to do that.
James
Grafter

Sorry Smiley
Click on your start menu
Click on run
Type cmd, hit enter
Then type the command I wrote down in my earlier post. (and hit enter)
nickleback

Thanks,
I got: "could not open connection to the host, on port 110: Connect failed"
James
Grafter

That's not good.
Could you possibly try disabling your antivirus and/or firewall software and trying the same command again?
nickleback

Disabled firewall (Norton) and got a connection and the message "OK Hello there"
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like Norton is blocking your email client. You should be able to configure it to allow your email program to access the internet - there's some instructions for a couple of nortom programs on http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Norton+Internet+Security - just substitute your email program for 'Mozilla Firefox' when it appears in the instructions.
Hope that helps,
nickleback

Thanks very much; it appeared to be a conflict between Norton and my email as you suggested. I reset my firewall and all appears to working OK now. Great help.