cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems

Jonnyfitz

Connection problems

Help - i have just joined plusnet. All my devices connected with no issues apart from one. My panasonic hwt230 (hard drive recorder) will not connect no matter what i try. It looks to be connected and displays the signal strength but will not go online or join my home network. The unit tells me that there are issues with the router settings. Can anyone help?
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Connection problems

Hi Johnyfitz,
Welcome to the forums and to PlusNet.  You'll find a mixture of helpful customers here as well as plusNet staff (M-F 9-5).
I've no personal experience of your recording device, but I've had a look at the manual.  From your description (reference to signal strength), would be be correct in concluding that you have connected via WiFi?  Are you using the PlusNet (PN) supplied TG582n router?  Did you connect using the WPS buttons?
Have you checked the network settings on the recorder?  See page 74 of the manual - all address settings should be set to auto.  Is the allocated address shown?  If allocated by the router it should be something like 192.168.1.64 to .250. Look at the router admin page and see if you can see the device in the device list.
There is a slim possibility that the DHCP address allocation between the router and the recorder has failed.  I've seen this with visa PC platforms.  In the first instance, restarting the router fixes this.
As a last resort, you can manually configure the IP address in the recorder - assuming that you are using the default configuration for the TG582n, the following should work.
Address: 192.168.1.10
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 192.168.1.254

If this works, then there is indeed a DHCP issue.  Try a few things to gather more information and post back.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonnyfitz

Hi Townman thanks for the response.
I am using the plusnet router, i was previously with EE and used their brightbox router and had no issues at all. I have tried connecting by both WPS and just searching for the network and connecting, neither work.
I think it is a DHCP issue, I tried the settings you gave me and they did not work. By default the settings on the recorder are set to auto.
Finally i have logged on to the admin page of the router and cannot locate the device.
Very frustrating as we use this device to stream tv around the house.
I have also tried restarting the router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Does the recorder disclose the IP address allocated when set to Auto?
Have you altered in any way the TG582n router settings?
Are you able to try a wired connection, even if temporarily?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonnyfitz

There is an ip address visible - greyed out.
Not changed the router settings. Plugged it in last weekend when it arrived everything worked seamlessly apart from the panasonic.
Haven't tried a wired seeting as its a bit difficult with the location of other equipment.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK, so what is the greyed out IP address please?  Any details of gateway / DNS server as well?

Jonnyfitz

I have re-set the unit.
Ip address and DNS- IP are both set to auto but there is nothing now populated in them.
Jonnyfitz

Update
I have just gone to do a connection test and now have an IP of
With a subnet of;
Gateway is blank and so are both of the primary and secondary DNS
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Great result!  A 169.x.y.z is a self allocated address, not one from the router.
For whatever reason, the recorder is NOT getting an address allocated by the router's DHCP server.  You can either do some more diagnostics or try for a manual fix.
Manual fix is to configure the IP address (as per my previous post).
More diagnostics - as a test, (if necessary disconnect your router and move it to the recorder - you do not need an Internet connection for this) connect the recorder to the router by Ethernet cable and check the address allocation again.  If you get a 192.168.1.x address, this will point to a wifi related problem.  If there is no change, then it is a DHCP problem and you will need to set the address details manually.
Take a look at page 74 of the manual and check the settings as described there.  Some silly things for you to check - your wifi name is displayed there?  What are the encryption and authentication types?  Are you trying to use double or single channel?  Use single.

Jonnyfitz

Thanks....i will give these things a try and report back soon.
Jonnyfitz

I have attempted a hard wired connection to the router and it will still not connect. The router is blocking any access to the internet.
When hard wired the settings are;
Ip address 169.254.219.170
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway - blank
Back to EE i think.