cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems - but everythings says its working!

Spurs1

Connection problems - but everythings says its working!

I have had my PlusNet connection for a couple of months and it has been excellent until recently. All of a sudden I cannot browse any web pages. I can connect to the router home page and when I click connect it seems to do so - the router page says it is connected and the internet light on the router comes on. My computer also says that it is connected to the router/internet but when I go to browse the internet I can't - every web address I type in just comes back with 'cannot display the web page'. I haven't changed anything on the router/computer since I last connected and I have no error messages or anything like that - everything looks exactly as it should. What is wrong with it, it's driving me mad!!  Angry
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Connection problems - but everythings says its working!

Are you using Windows XP SP3 with ZoneAlarm firewall, and Microsoft patches have just been applied today? If so try reducing the ZoneAlarm Internet Zone firewall setting to Medium, and we'll follow up from there.
Alternatively one of the McAfee security packages, can't remember the relevant name off hand.
David
samuria
Grafter

If the above doesnt work can you open a cmd window start\run type cmd and then type inconfig /all and post the results. then type  tracert  194.110.131.66 and post the results.
If its still not working turn off the firewall and AV temporary and try again
samuria
Grafter

If you can do a tracert then your connection its working try doing a tcip reset by typing at the cmd prompt.
Before doing this make sure you know your tcip setting as you will have to reset them, If you use DHCP then its automatic you wont need to reset them
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
reboot and give it a try
Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall or proxy clients may be adversely affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality.
c:\resetlog.txt will have a log of what has happened
Spurs1

It was the Zone Alarm all along, I can't believe it was such a simple thing after all this time! Thank you all for your posts  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now update zonealarm again as they have released a fix recently