cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem

Laroc
Grafter

Connection problem

My PC will not talk to the router (BT 2091), however my wireless laptop works Ok
In the Control Panel/Network Connections my Ethernet icon indicates "no connection"
I have tried getting the PC to obtain a new IP or DNS address but it fails when on auto
I think the problem started when:-
(a) download speed was near zero and I waited ages for the home page which never fully materialised
(b) then a box appeared stating new IP address located and one of my family pressed OK !!!
All of ther connection settings are set to obtain IP/DNS auto.
As my laptop works the fault must be on my main PC, hence this message.
Any suggestions, I am stumped
How can I get this machine to have a conversation with my router
alan
6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: Connection problem

Have you checked all the obvious things? (I'm assuming the main PC is connected with a cable and running Xp.)
1. Is the cable pushed home at the back of the PC and the router.
2. Go to Control Panel>Network Connections.  Under LAN or High Speed Internet check that your ethernet connection does not have a red cross.  If it does, right click on the connection and select enable.
3. Right click on the connection again and select properties.  Select TCP/IP from the list in the box and select properties from underneath.  Make sure obtain an IP address automatically is selected and the same for DNS (I think you've already done this).
Retry the connection.
Laroc
Grafter

Paul,
many thanks for that info.
Bizzare !
Last night I could get no response from my router despite all your suggestions.
Ping 192.168.1.1 nothing.
Deactivated Firewall and anti-virus and anti-spyware
Nothing.
This morning with a refreshed brain, I tried ping 192.168.1.1 and I got a response but still no web access.
I then went to msconfig and unticked the firewall etc etc and YES it worked.
I think it may have been Adaware 2008 Pro which was the cause, as its now working and thats the only start-up software not activated.
The only thing yesterday was the mains was off/on due to an electrician working in the house, but that didnt affect the laptop accessing the router OK ?
Early days, if I come to a solid conclusion I will let you know
Thanks once again
paulby
Grafter

Glad you got it working.
I took AdAware 2008 off both machines in our house as it was causing no end of problems.  I replaced it with a-squared.
Out of curiosity, what firewall are you running?  If you're running a third party firewall (such as Zone Alarm, Norton, etc.) - did you disable the Windows built in firewall? 
You need to only have one software firewall running at a time or you can run into problems (either the Windows firewall or a third party firewall but not both!).
Laroc
Grafter

Paul
Firewall is "Webroot Firewall" which I have been using for the past 6months + on both the main PC and laptop.
Win XP Firewall disabled.
Interesting to hear your comments re Adaware 2008 - can you tell me more
Seems to be Ok the past 24hrs with that disconnected
alan
paulby
Grafter

I used to run AdAware SE with no problems whatsoever.  I "upgraded" to 2008.
After the upgrade my Xp machine would blue screen whenever I tried to put any files found during a scan into quarantine.  My other machine (running Vista) would report that "The program has experienced a problem" when performing the same action (puting files in quarantine) - the only option was to force the program to close.
It didn't seem to bother my firewall though - both machines are running Eset Smart Security.
Looks like you may have had some compatibility issue with AdAware and your firewall program.
Laroc
Grafter

Like you, I ran the earlier ed of Adaware with no problem
But it looks as though Adaware 2008 could be suspect
Thanks for all your information, very interesting
alan