cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

gemma074
Dabbler

Connection keeps dropping

I have a Technicolor TG852n router. I've never had any complaints with Plusnet until the last couple of weeks. The connection has been incredibly tempremental with it dropping a few times a week. At first it seemed to be isolated to late at night/early hours of the morning but over the last fews days its happening at various times troughout the day too. Last night was the worst its been. I have unplugged, rebooted, reset, tried another microfilter and nothing makes difference. Previously a simple reset seemed to work but that became a much more frequent need. Last night however, the router after resetting, would flash all its lights like crazy then just go blank. No light, nothing. After about 20mins it started again and seemed to stay connected but now in certain areas of the house where i was previously able to connect will no longer do so. I live in a bungalow and now after whatever happened last night, when i go to the far end of the house it drops the connection. Asks me to enter in the my password to connect but then tells me its unable to connect and sometimes even cant find the network at all.
I dont have another router to try. My phone line is ok with no known problems there. The only thing plugged into the socket is the router as my phone is in another socket elsewhere in the house.
Do i need a new router? I dont know what else it could be.
17 REPLIES 17
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Connection keeps dropping

Hi Gemma,

A warm welcome to the forums, sorry to read of your problems.  I see that you have posted elsewhere about this issue elsewhere as well (I have asked the mods to move that post to here) albeit describing the problem differently.

From your descriptions, it is possible that you have two problems - wifi connectivity and broadband connectivity.  What can be confusing is that when the broadband drops, the router can ask for the PlusNET account connection password.  At times it can be confusing to know which password is being sought: the wifi pass phrase; the router admin password or the PlusNET account password.

i suggest that first we look at the broadband connection - if you have a PC or laptop, it would be useful if you could connect them to the router with an Ethernet cable (one was supplied with the router) for these tests.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gemma074
Dabbler

I've switched out the micro filter and used a new one, i've tested the main line and that all seems to ok too.

Now all its doing is what is showing in the attached picture. All devices that would regularly be connected to the router are saying they cant detect the server.

As for all the rest of what you said to do, i'm not sure how to do that.
I think its probably best that i soeak to someone on the phone who can talk me through it.
But does this picture give any more of an idea what could be going on?
gemma074
Dabbler

Re: Internet is on but some devices won't connect all the time

I've switched out the micro filter and used a new one, i've tested the main line and that all seems to ok too.

Now all its doing is what is showing in the attached picture. All devices that would regularly be connected to the router are saying they cant detect the server.

As for all the rest of what you said to do, i'm not sure how to do that.
I think its probably best that i soeak to someone on the phone who can talk me through it.
But does this picture give any more of an idea what could be going on?
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Internet is on but some devices won't connect all the time

Hi Gemma my internet light shows red from time to timebut I still remain connected OK. Sounds like you are having problems with the connection and with the WiFi so if you aren't comfortable with the configuration of the router it might be best to put in a call Smiley

Good luck

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

OK so what you need to do is to open up a web browser and type in the top address bar 192.168.1.254 and log into your router. You will be asked for a Username which will be admin and then the password will be the serial number of the router. Once you are logged in you will need to change your log in Username to your plusnet account Username followed by @plusdsl.net

Once you have done this you will be able to connect and this will resolve the issue

gemma074
Dabbler

Frustrating follow on problem from original post

Ok, so I made a post on here the other day about my tempremental connection and how its been randomly dropping over the last two weeks, and culminated yesterday in not working at all and having the red internet light on my router.
I called the customer support as trying to sort the issue myself without someone talking me through it was a no go.
Eventually, the lady i spoke with did some kind of reset regarding passwords or something and the connection came back on, however she could not explain why the connection has been dropping over the last two weeks but could see that it indeed has been problematic.
So far so good with the connection....when i'm close to the router that it!
I live in a bungalow so the property is long rather than tall. Previously i had, with no problem, wifi connectivity at the far end of the bungalow away from the router, I could even pick it up outside of the property sitting in my car. However since whatever customer support did yesterday, I cant get a connection in that end of the property. My iphone keeps telling me to enter in the network password, and i get one of two responses:

1) unable to connect to network
2) password is incorrect ( which it isnt )

It lists connection in my network options but thats all.

Nothing has changed to how it was previously. The router is in the same place, no more or less obstructions than before i.e walls, doors etc. Literally everything is the same.

So what could be causing this? When i move back closer to the router, it either connects automatically or asks for the password again, and when I enter it, it accepts it with no problem.

Its highly frustrating as I clearly have a connection, it however seems to be weaker than before I guess. I dont understand what could be causing this new issue.

Any ideas? Its getting frustrating now.
gemma074
Dabbler

Ended up calling customer support. Problem seemed to be sorted until i noticed that I have connection one end of my property but not the other now. Whereas before, i had connectivity everywhere.

I dont understand what could be causing this new issue since i do have some kind of connection.
I started a new topic about this. Going into more detail.
However my iphone for example keeps asking me to enter in my network password to join it and i get two different responses.

1) unable to connect to network
2) incorrect password which it is not.

When i move back towards the router however it either connects automatically or accepts the password with no problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Gemma,

Just to be clear, is that asking for the wifi password?

Sounds like there might be wifi congestion in your location.  Someone else's (changed) wifi might interfering with yours.  Do you know how your router is configured for wifi services?  Fixed channel or automatic?

Which router is it?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Merged threads to keep information all in one place

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gemma074
Dabbler

Yes, its askinh for the wifi password. The pic attached is one of the things it keeps doing.
Now its doing a third thing on top of the two i listed previous...it just keeps asking for the password. I'll type it in, hit the join button then it clears the password box and asks me to enter it again like i hadnt just typed it in.

I dont know how the router is configured. The router is a Technicolor TG852n.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What is the firmware version?

gemma074
Dabbler

I dont know, how do I find that out?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wwjust log into the router here - http://192.168.1.254

sandyno1

same prob here past few weeks, after a year no probs, having to reload pages several times a day on desk top,

but lappy at night is abysmal, buffering and dropping out, between about 9.30 and 1am, WHY all of a sudden?

Are plusnet dropping their fibre speeds at night? cos I don't get anywhere near promised speeds.

Live alone, only one device in use at a time.

I've tried everything that's been suggested to no avail.

I found normal broadband more reliable before this fibre, why do they all lie about reliability and speeds?

Think it's time to change