cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping out

Racheyd78

Connection keeps dropping out

Hi,
The past couple of days out broadband has been dropping out frequently, to the point where this is happening a few times an hour.The light on the hub goes from blue to flashung orange and within a minute it has generally reconnected. It is also so slow that I am having to use my data on my phone as it's far quicker than our broadband!
We have tried rebooting the hub but this has made no difference at all.
Are you able to run a test to see what's going on please?
16 REPLIES 16
Jwhataylor
Dabbler

Re: Connection keeps dropping out

Mine keeps doing the same and I'm really fed up with it. Trying to get hold of Plusnet is like pulling teeth. Why can't there be a 'raise a ticket' button on the members area.
Jwhataylor
Dabbler

One thing to note from my issue, is that we had some particularly wet weather yesterday and after which the disconnections escalated.

Apologies for high jacking your thread Racheyd.
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sadly these modems have been completely de-skilled and offer no diagnostic abilities at all!!

The only thing you can do is check the phone line for noise or crackles as if present would cause your problems. Dial 17070 and select the quiet line test, report any crackles or noises to your phone provider (you should only hear a quiet hiss and unobtrusive hum).

Also your internal house wiring and/or filter arrangements may be causing the problem, try plugging the modem via its filter directly into the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket with no phones connected at all.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Racheyd78

I'm taking a look and will reply again shortly.

jwhataylor

For faults you can still report them online at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 34.0 56.0
SNR Margin: 6.0 3.3
Errored Seconds: 2 677
HEC Errors: 3  
Cell Count: 4452 8215
Speed: 903 2919

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2848 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2278
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 1049 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 402
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1

From testing your line the number of errors is very high, this is going to be causing issues. I've made a change to try and stabilise the line, if you could monitor this and let us know how it goes.

I've also noticed that your account is set up on our side wrong from when you initially signed up, I'm going to correct that shortly and will put a ticket on your account and email you with more information.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

@Jwhataylor wrote:
Mine keeps doing the same and I'm really fed up with it. Trying to get hold of Plusnet is like pulling teeth. Why can't there be a 'raise a ticket' button on the members area.

I can see there's an engineer arranged later this week to investigate.

Jwhataylor
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

I have an engineer coming out on Thursday morning to hopefully fix my problems. The phone line is noisy and the drop outs got worse on Sunday which was very wet in the afternoon, a coincidence perhaps? I have been having drop outs for a long while now and we have finally got fed up with it, especially when the kids are trying to do their homework.

Cheers.

Jeff

Chris
Legend

There's possible water ingress in a joint somewhere and when it's wet it makes the problem worse, hopefully the engineer will find the issue.

Racheyd78

Hi Chris, been home for about an hour and so far it seems much better, it has not dropped out yet! Will keep you informed...Thank you! 😀👍
thedivallhome

Hi Chris

I have noticed your comments re connection dropping out.  I have the same problems with my blue light going orange for a few seconds and then back to blue.  Increasingly, I have problems connecting to sites and occasionally have a Plusnet error message saying there is not internet connection.

I'm not sure whether this means I have a router problem or there is a problem locally with my internet connection.  A lot of searching hasn't given me any answers to date.

Any thoughts?

Rick

bobknowle

Not sure if this is entirely relevant to the above problems, but I had wifi modem connection problems to my new "smart" Samsung tv.  I could set it up and connect to say the ITV Hub, then after a few minutes the connection would be lost.  After a lot of hassle with Samsung phone help (none) Plusnet suggested, among other things, looking at which channel the modem was working.  It was on automatic, which meant it could switch channel if it found a better one.  I altered the setting to manual and selected number 1 and now everything is fine, no dropouts at all!

Jwhataylor
Dabbler

Hi Rick,

In the end it was one of two things; the BT engineer put a new master socket in or he found a dodgy connection in the cabinet that serves my area. I have had no such connection issues since then.

If you remove the ADSL lead from the rear of the router, can you still see other devices in your wireless network? You can use an app (Android or Apple) called Fing, this is a network scanner to check this. This will show you if your wireless network is ok. If when you re-connect the ADSL lead to your router the issues begin again, then you know it is the master socket outwards.

Hope this helps.

Jeff 

diz123

Hi sorry to ask but how did you change channel from auto have had problems for a while
DavidValentine

Wow. This is all so familiar. I have been going through this for months now.

Just to help you. NOBODY seems to want to take responsibility for anything, or make any decisions.
Sorry no answers. But maybe a bit of background will help you fend off the wrong answers and be prepared for the waffle.

FYI. I am using ADSL, and have been for 9 years at this house. There is about 100M of underground cable from the phone pole to the front door. This all about 40 years old, in an area where there has been a lot of tree growth.

A couple of years back, I had a noisy phone and broadband drop outs. Swapping out modem and ADSL filter did not help. At this time it was easy to deal with Plusnet and my report was listened to. Eventually a very helpful BT man came along. He diagnosed good data rate on the pole, with about 1/3 (from memory) by the time he got to my front door. There was water in the cable conduit. His solution was to use some spare cores. Service was very much improved. This sounded to me like a temporary fix on a degrading cable. But I am only one of the unwashed peasants.

This year the problem returned. A report to Plusnet was ignored/lost/whatever. A rant here drew the attention of a Gaffer and another report to Plusnet was acted on. This all took around 3 months. A fault under concrete near the front door was identified. During this I got a trench across my lawn, a disturbed gas pipe and a lot of inconvenience.

The connection has generally been better. But it is still not as it should be. Do I have other issues in the 90M of untouched old cable? Is it a contention ratio problem? Quite honestly I don't know. I doubt I could get a sensible answer from either BT or Plusnet. If I splash out on fibre broadband, I am still using the potentially dodgy (tree root damaged) copper so might gain nothing.

It is extremely tempting to tell 'doing you proud' what to do with their service and buy a 4G sim.

I will watch your progress with interest.