cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping out. "DNS not responding"

anotherbob
Grafter

Connection keeps dropping out. "DNS not responding"

For the past ten days or so I've had a problem with my internet connection dropping out. When I run Windows diagnostic it says "DNS server not responding". When I log into my router (Technicolour) and "check connectivity" it says I am connected. The Network & Sharing Centre shows a no internet connection.I have to restart the router to get back online. The wierd thing is that while I cannot connect with my PC, tablet or phone, my Squeezebox Touch keeps on playing internet radio stations.
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Connection keeps dropping out. "DNS not responding"

This could be another case of the DNS server within the router failing. See here or here for some instructions to determine if that is what's happening.
If so, you could bypass the DNS server in the router by re-configuring the router: http://npr.me.uk/changedns.html "Method 2"
Or alternatively manually specify the DNS servers on your computer.
anotherbob
Grafter

Thank you for your advice.
I will try those possibilities the next time it occurs.
AtariMark

Quote from: anotherbob
For the past ten days or so I've had a problem with my internet connection dropping out. When I run Windows diagnostic it says "DNS server not responding". When I log into my router (Technicolour) and "check connectivity" it says I am connected. The Network & Sharing Centre shows a no internet connection.I have to restart the router to get back online. The wierd thing is that while I cannot connect with my PC, tablet or phone, my Squeezebox Touch keeps on playing internet radio stations.

Mine has been doing the same thing for the past 5 days. My PC is set for a static address and I use Googles DNS (8.8.8.8). For me it is a steady decline with some sites not connecting this gets steadily worse until I have to reboot the router. I had to laugh because this forum was one site that I could not connect to before I rebooted. Maybe the router is on it's way out (it's about 12 months old).
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anotherbob,
Are you still experiencing this issue?
If the problem persists it may be best to get in touch with our Technical Support for further advice and an investigation if required. They are available 24/7 on 0800 432 0200.