cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues with ASUS DSL-AC68U

r4
Hooked

Connection issues with ASUS DSL-AC68U

Firstly, can anybody with this same router please advise of any particular configuration they know of that does or does not work with PlusNet?

I've just purchased an ASUS DSL-AC68U modem-router and replaced the PlusNet Thomson 2074n. Initially, going through the auto-configuration, there were two choices, PlusNet PPoA or PlusNet PPoE. I recall many years ago that the latter showed on the advised connection settings, so I tried that first but couldn't get it to connect. When I tried PPoA it worked straight away. Was up and running with no issues for a day, then this morning the connection was lost. Seems too much of a coincidence to not be an issue with the new router, so rebooted it, did the same auto-config but the resulting connection was almost completely unusable. Just tried again and am now connected.

I've reviewed the suggested settings under My Account, but there are many configuration options on this router which don't correspond. Maybe there's a conflict. Attached below, the main options that have been auto-configured, a screenshot from running the BT speed test, and the current connection details.

Can somebody check if there's been any fault on this line / at the exchange or whether I need to adjust the router settings?
Thanks.

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
r4
Hooked

Re: Connection issues with ASUS DSL-AC68U

Shortly after posting the connection dropped again. And again. Well, slowed to an impossible crawl at least such that almost any webpage load fails. Tried a ping from the router tools:

PING www.google.com (216.58.213.4): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.58.213.4: seq=2 ttl=56 time=22.395 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.213.4: seq=3 ttl=56 time=20.034 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.213.4: seq=4 ttl=56 time=20.927 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 40% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 20.034/21.118/22.395 ms

Have had to switch back over to the PlusNet router for a moment. Will see if it holds out. I also noticed the following additional page of DSL settings for the ASUS router (attached). Anything miss there?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@r4 

It could well be a coincidence. It will be interesting to see how the Hub Zero holds up. I was about to suggest that you try this.

The other thing that you might try is to do a factory reset on the Asus hub then leave everything in their default settings apart from the ADSL settings here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Your speed looks very low compared with your sync speed so something is not right, but I can't see any problem with your settings. How do the speeds compare when testing using an Ethernet cable, not wireless, between your router and a computer when trying the two routers?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

r4
Hooked

Not a hitch since switching back to the PlusNet router.

I'd already done a factory reset when first setting up the ASUS router, followed by a firmware upgrade to the latest version. Once I figured out the connection it ran fine yesterday and all last night but crapped out this morning. The settings match those in the page you linked above.

It's the same on ethernet or wireless, it's the WAN side that seems to be at fault.

r4
Hooked

After swapping the old PN router back in yesterday and having no problems, early this afternoon I tried the ASUS router again. Initially it connected and worked, then dropped out. I had to go out and was surprised to come back a couple of hours later and find it working again without having done a router reboot. But it's clearly not a reliable connection.

I've just been through the calamitously hopeless PN Broadband Troubleshooter (account name: [Removed]), but because I stated that the connection works with another router it just dumped me there and said bye-bye have fun. I fear that now all support staff will be off for a long weekend in Benidorm and nobody's going to pay attention to this. Problem is I'm trying to sort this out for another PN broadband account holder (my email/webspace-only account is registered at the same address) before I head back abroad, so don't have time to lose.

I'm attaching the ASUS router log. It contains dates from May 5th but I think this is misleading, because around line 1,789 where it looks up the PN DNS servers and ntp, it then updates to the correct date (only to revert back again, strangely).

Just for the record, in addition to the many other benefits of this 802.11ac 2.4GHz/5GHz router over the old basic PN Thomson 2704N I'm trying to replace, it's essential to change it because the Thomson has a nasty bug, which I posted about on here before but remains unresolved. I need remote SSH access to a machine on the LAN but the router's Port Forwarding dialog persistently falls back erroneously to the MAC address of another, wrong device, leaving me unable to gain access (no remote access either to the PN router). So I can't just stick with the PN router and be done with.

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @r4, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with the 3rd party router.

I'm afraid that as this piece of equipment isn't provided by us, there's very little advice we're able to provide from a tech support point of view as your ISP.

if you haven't received them already, we are able to provide the default configuration options that you'd need to set up a 3rd party router with our connection. It may be worth checking these to see if anything is out of place:

Encapsulation Type: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Username: Username@plusdsl.net
Password: Your account password
Multiplexing Method: VC-MUX
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

We're sorry that we're not able to assist further with this.

r4
Hooked

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I realize you can't assist with a third party router, but I wondered if anybody could see any issue on the line or at the exchange that would point to where it's going wrong, or something in the log that seems amiss. When it works, as with right now, it's fine. I don't know if changing a router can cause drop-outs if it is somehow more or less sensitive to line signal / noise etc.?

It's three-and-a-half years since PN provided this Thomson 2704N router. It can't do ac wireless and has a severe bug that prevents performing a critical function (remote SSH) without constant intervention from the local user (who in this case is not disposed towards understanding such things, rendering each fix very long-winded). If the ASUS router can't maintain a stable connection and I have to stop trying with it, is there not a more up-to-date and capable model that PlusNet can provide?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to me @r4.

We've checked the connection and can definitely see a number of drops in connection over the past few days.

I know from experience that the AC68U is a fantastic router but I am happy to arrange for one of our new Plusnet Hub Ones to be dispatched to the account holder, given the age of the current Plusnet supplied one. It should be with them within the next 5 working days.

Just a quick note - I;ve asked the mods to remove it from the post but I notice the account username in your previous post. I'd strongly recommend removing this from public view as it's account specific.

r4
Hooked

Thanks for looking into this. I see you've sent a confirmation email to the account holder. I couldn't see a way to edit my post but I note it's done already. I didn't know another way for you to be aware which account I was referring to. The ASUS router has now held out for another 5 five hours. It would be nice if it stabilized but that may be miraculous given its performance so far.