cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection instability since ADSL2+ upgrade

DJWoodward

Connection instability since ADSL2+ upgrade

Hi, I requested an upgrade from ADSL Max to ADSL 2+ back in January (link to thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL2-Upgrade/td-p/1509519). 

I noticed quite a big difference in speed straight away (which has been fantastic), but unfortunately also noticed more regular connection drops. I left everything alone for a few weeks for any line training to take place. Since I was still getting connection drops after this time, and my router has this functionality (Billion BiPAC 8800NL), I manually increased my SNR from what was 6.0db at that time up to 9.0db. I experienced a small decrease in sync rate but I believe the SNR increase did help with line stability at the time.

These more frequent drop-outs have been liveable up until now, but particularly over this weekend and the weekend previous - my connection was dropping once every 10-15 minutes over a period of 2 hours or so. Also worth mentioning is the drop-outs seem more frequent during bad weather.

I've reset my SNR in the router back to auto to see if it would make any difference and I'm now noticing it's around 3.0db which is interesting - I'd never previously seen it go lower than 6.0db.

I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to look into this for me?

Many thanks

Mode ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 3.1 5.7
Attenuation (dB) 33.0 20.9
Output Power (dBm) 19.8 12.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 15336 985

Rate (Kbps) 15138 1195
1 REPLY
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 7

Re: Connection instability since ADSL2+ upgrade

Hi @DJWoodward,

I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing these issues. I've tested the line and I can see that the connection is definitely dropping out, however we aren't seeing anything that seems to be causing the issue. Before we do anything else, it's best to make sure that our troubleshooting guide has been completed as running through these checks will more often than not resolve these kinds of issues.

To run through some troubleshooting, click here including connecting your router into the test socket as explained here and then raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net if you still experience problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team