cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops

Rmusson
Dabbler

Re: Connection drops

On both ping test occasions I let it choose it's own server.

I am on the firmware: 10.2.2.B
My router does NOT have a USB socket.

Here's another ping test which I tested as soon as I got home

Test during a disconnection period:

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK you are on the latest firmware for that one.
Whilst there's me saying let it pick it's own server for pingtest, you may just as well click on the only one available in England at present, that's Coventry. We are only likely to get silly results if for some obscure reason it picks one not on the mainland. I can only imagine that something was wrong with Coventry when your previous test connected to Galway. I just tried a pingtest at Coventry, the first one was poor (but no packet loss), the 2nd try crashed with an error message from them, and the 3rd was acceptable for this time of day (no packet loss though).
However remember that whether it's speed tests or ping tests etc,at peak times the test servers can get busy, and you can sometimes get a stupid result. If you get a poor result, immediately click Test again. It when you get repeated bad results, then start questioning why.
You can pick an overseas server, but you may not get good ping times or jitter, but you should have no packet loss.
Your two tests with packet loss are certainly of concern. Did you do them wirelessly?
Do you have a fixed IP address by any chance or a dynamic one? If dynamic, can you check what it is and keep a note and see if it changes and when it changes (don't post it though).
You didn't say anything about my comment on your dropped sync, is this something you have occasionally at night or other times?
Rmusson
Dabbler

My IP is dynamic and I did a wired connection test.
About my sync drops it can happen at any time of the day; it has happened a few occasions in the early morning but tends to occur most frequently during 5pm - 10pm

After doing some Googling I am still not sure how I am able to check when my IP changes without constantly refreshing it on the router page (if that's possible)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Using a website such as http://checkmyip.com/ may be easiest and login to the modem/router if you spot a change and look at the logs.
In the logs, a new IP address is allocated where you see    PPP link up (Internet) [xx.xxx.xxx.xxx]    where the x's are the IP address.
You'll also see your IP address in the most recent entries of these for example -
Error    Aug 31 15:03:45   FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 179.83.184.98 Dst ip: 91.125.xxx.xxx Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
where Dst ip: is your IP address.
Have you had any xDSL linestate down events recently since the 6th then?
You have tried a different filter have you?
The reason I was asking about a fixed or dynamic IP address was this. Have a read and see what you think. Because yours is dynamic you would have to go and grab a copy of the graph asap and then delete the old monitor if your IP address changed and then set up a new one., as the data gathered after your IP address changed would be someone else's on the old one.
You may have noticed some BQM graphs in some people's forum signatures and elsewhere.  Here's one bad one with major packet loss on a Fibre connection. The packet loss shows as the red at the top which is occurring during evening peak time.
If you create a BQM, I'd advise using some sort of disposable email address, ie not your main one, (one you can dump if need be) when you set everything up and don't use your username on the graph.
Can you send me a PM with your exchange name if you don't want to post it in the thread.
Other than that I would also Raise a fault complaining of packet loss.