Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops suddenly while browsing and opens router log in page

ihateplusnet
Dabbler

Connection drops suddenly while browsing and opens router log in page

Hi,
For the last few months we've had a problem where our broadband is completely fine but stops suddenly - websites stop loading and the router log in page (technicolor gateway - http://dsldevice.lan/login.lp) opens instead. This happens every few weeks, on some days more than once a day and it takes a reboot of the router to fix. We never had this problem before, anyone know whats causing it?
Lucy
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Connection drops suddenly while browsing and opens router log in page

Hi Lucy,
Sorry to hear you're having problems with that.
It's probably a good idea to start by clearing out your Cache and Cookies stored in your Web Browser. You can find more information on how to do this here: http://www.plus.net/support/software/browsers/cache.shtml
I've come across a similar issue recently and that did resolve the problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris / Lucy,
I do not think this has anything to do with cookies, but rather the web browsing interception operation of the TG routers.  If there is no Internet connectivity (PPP is down) you get redirected to the router logon page.  I suggest that this is only seen if you are in the middle of surfing when the link fails... whilst the router is sorting out synch and PPP.
It is in circumstances such as this that I have experienced the described events.  If this is happening frequently, the question which needs to be explored is why is synch being lost so frequently?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Lucy, you can really do without this sort of issue considering all the hassle you has getting connected in the first place Roll_eyes
Next time it happens Lucy, Log in to the Modem/router, click on Technicolor Gateway on the LHS and then on Event Logs below it.
if you have trouble doing that, use this url http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/events/?be=0&l0=1&l1=2
Then start at the words Recorded events and with your mouse, highlight from there to the end of the list  and do Copy and then Paste into a post.
Then try and get to http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/cfg/cfg/?be=0&l0=1&l1=1 and under System Configuration change Web Browsing Interception: to Disabled. Click Apply below.
That will at least stop it going to the Login page every time it happens and you won't lose the screen you were looking at, but it won't fix the Connection problem, which the Event Logs may help identify.
I suspect it is likely to be a loss of sync rather than just the PPP Internet session, so there's a couple of other things worth checking - when it happens pick up your phone and see if you can hear crackling or other noises on the line. In any event can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
mrkevin

Hi,
I am having the exact same problem, and it's nothing to do with cookies, as it happens on both my computer as well as my partner's.  I have called and complained about this to PlusNet, and they sent a BT engineer who came and did extensive tests on my line as well as replaced the socket and the BT modem.  The problem persisted and PlusNet sent me a new router.  Unfortunately the problem still continues, and last night in the middle of browsing the connection went down and I had to restart the Technicolor router.  Considering that the BT Engineer couldn't find any faults with my line and ALL of the equipment has been replaced, I can only assume there is some issue higher up with PlusNet's service. 
I've attached a screen grab of my Router Event logs, this is just from today, but as you can see the PPP link goes down regularly.  I'm really frustrated with this as I work from home and I can't tell you how much time I've wasted resetting the router over the past month and waiting for the connection to come back.  I should note that for the first several weeks after I switched to PlusNet Fibre broadband there were no issues and the connection was great.
I really appreciate thoughts / replies from anyone...
- Kevin
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Another Kevin, well welcome to the Forum and I'm sorry to learn you are having a similar problem.
I should say that the actual causes of both problems may be different as Lucy IIRC is on ADSL. Whilst loss of sync would cause a loss of PPP it's by no means obvious that loss of sync is happening (but still could be). Unfortunately, the Modems are locked, so there's no direct way of checking sync speed, but see later.
The problem with an intermittent issue like this, is the one of being able to track down a cause. It is unlikely to be at the Plusnet end, not impossible, but extremely unusual. Substitution of Modem and Router as has happened, is a good thing, to eliminate them as a possible cause.
From the Router log, it's obvious that the IP address is changing and therefore which Gateway you are on will likely change each time, may be worth checking and noting. I'd also therefore expect these drops to show up on Plusnet's Radius logs.
What I am finding surprising in the current log that you've quoted, is that the time taken to establish a new PPP session at 0658 is was 25 seconds, at 0811 it was nearly 9 minutes which around what I'd expect with a loss of sync, because the time taken at present for stale PPP sessions to time out is of that order, but then at 1157 it was only 13 seconds - these shorter times being consistent with a disconnect initiated from the user side of the router. Very odd.
If you Telnet into the Router with the following at a Cmd prompt  <telnet -f filename.txt 192.168.1.254>  (without the <>) you get a login screen and once logged in do the following CLI command <syslog msgbuf show hist=enabled> (again without the <>), this will dump a much longer current log into whatever file you chose for "filename" into the directory you are in when you issue the Telnet command. Either change directory before the telnet command if you want it elsewhere, or specify the full path name. Issue the CLI command within 60 seconds as that is the default timeout.
Whether this output will yield any further useful information remains to be seen.
If view of the odd behaviour, one thought about a question worth asking, do you suffer from any mains power interruptions or brown-outs?
The other thing you could try doing is run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. This will give you the downstream BT IP Profile for the line - make a note of it each time & providing the IP address and Gateway has changed, BT servers should have been updated with the current sync speeds and the IP Profile will therefore give an indication as to whether there's been a change in sync speed. (On FTTC DS IP Profile x 1.033 = sync speed).
If you wish, do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
A couple of final points on the BTw Diagnostic test, you need to wait 10 minutes between the Diagnostic tests, but the first part you can run as often as required. Also if when the PPP drops there is no change in IP address, then log into the Router, click Disconnect the wait 30 seconds and then click Connect, this should ensure it's a new PPP session so that the BT servers are updated with the current sync speeds, otherwise you will be unable to tell if there's been any sync speed change from the Profile.