cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops out

kcher

Connection drops out

Hello,
I moved to plusnet about a month back. No complaints with the broadband speeds as such (The mail from plusnet few couple of weeks after joining said 17Mbps and most speed tests online show between 11 to 13, which is ok for my usage).
My internet connection does seem to be very flaky though. When I go to any site or click a link, almost invariably I get a webpage cannot be found error which on refresh tends to find the site. This happens with pretty much all sites (bbc, guardian, goal.com, arstechnica etc) and on all devices. Interestingly, remote desktop connections to office or streaming (Youtube and NowTV) works perfect and I haven't noticed even one dropout till now.
I've also noticed my phone (windows) routinely falls back to 4G even when at home which may be due to the connections being flaky.
Has anyone had this before and can someone help diagnose/fix this please. I suspect it may be something to do with DNS but have no idea what/where to look for
Thanks,
K
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Connection drops out

Hi kcher,
Welcome to the forums.
This could be down to a number of things, including, but not limited to the wifi operation.
For the things which work without issue, are they wired or wifi connected?  The phone falling back to 4G suggests a wifi connectivity issue.  What phone is it?
Which router are you using?
Would you know if there are any (many) nearby wifi stations?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kcher

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your response..
My router is Technicolour TG582n and only use wifi. About 10 devices connected including TV but but not more than four used at the same time.
There is one other wifi network in range. It is a sky router and the signal is quite faint (1 bar out of 5 in windows vs 5 out of 5 for mine). I haven't noticed any of the devices not connected to wifi yet except my phone (which is a lumia 925 running windows dev preview).
The problem is even when wifi signals show full bars, most sites show page cannot be found at least once before it reloads and finds the site. When I connect to office, it may take couple of attempts to get to the site but once the rdp session starts it never drops off. When I click a link within BBC, it comes with a page not found and then goes to the page. Can reproduce the same different browsers, tablet, windows and mac.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi and welcome,
I've checked your connection and you are just a few hours short  of 12 days online without drops. This suggests the connection is stable and the problem is most likely wireless as Townman suggests.
Your wireless setting channels settings can be changed. We have instructions here which may assist.
Please let us know how you get on.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kcher

Hi,
Sorry for getting back on this late. The problem seems to have fixed itself as I haven't noticed any drop-outs recently..
Thanks,