Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping

PGRGrandad
Grafter

Connection dropping

Hi
I have a fault ticket raised with Plusnet (29903931) about a failing connection, they have made their necessary checks through the fault finder and tell me there isn't a problem with the line that they can find.
Being intermittent I fully understand the difficulty, This fault started with just an occasional drop and over 2 or 3 months has now reached the point where it is a real pain.
I am currently plugged into the test socket through a brand new filter with all phones etc dis-connected and I am currently enjoying a good connection although earlier with the same set up as now I experienced drops and the router had difficulty reconnecting.
My suspicion is that the router, a Plusnet supplied BT Voyager 210, is starting to give up the ghost even though it's only 18 months or so old and has worked perfectly until 3 months ago!
To make a long story shorter, can anyone suggest if these stats from the Diagnostic test indicate a failing router and if so what router would you recommend?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Pete
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connection dropping

Are you connecting to the router through the USB socket or the ethernet socket
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Hello Jim
I am connecting through the ethernet socket.
It has just dropped again and I took these stats through Kitz website once it came back on, do they help?
Thanks for the quick reply.
Pete
Im about to watch the football so wont be available for a couple of hours.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given the wonderful stats you have I would suspect the router.
If you don't have a spare router you can borrow I suggest responding to the fault ticket asking if Plusnet can lend you a Thompson router to check. Previous posts by Jameseh indicates that this isn't usually a problewm.
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Thanks Jim
Given that with my level of my expertise I didn't realise my stats were wonderful, Im grateful for your response.
I recall that when I joined plusnet about 18 months ago there was some debate about the longevity of the Voyager 210 so I have been half expecting this day ever since, given that, I will buy myself a new router and hopefully solve the problem........until next time!!
I am considering the Netgear DG 834G, or one of the Belkin models, any advice would be welcome.
Thanks again
Pete
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could of course get a free one from Plusnet (well after paying for post and packaging) in exchange for a new 12 or 18 month contract.
Personally I like the Netgear DG834G but I don;t know about the latest version.
I do have a question though - do you want wireless as you presently aren't using it
If you do go for the DG834G this seems a very good price http://www.dslsource.co.uk/details.aspx?idProduct=1466
PGRGrandad
Grafter

No thanks Jim, I have stayed long enough to avoid paying for the Voyager 210 etc. And I do have some reservations now about what direction Plusnet will be made to go, so a one month contract is fine for me at the moment. Nothing lasts forever and the first 12 months with Plusnet were very good.
I dont really want wireless, is the Netgear DG834G only wireless or does it cater for both?
My reasoning is that not being very computer savvy I try to avoid anything that may turn out to be problematical.
Thanks for your time and the link.
Pete
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It caters for both but a non wireless option is cheaper DG834 from here http://dslsource.co.uk/details.aspx?idProduct=740&category=MODEMS_ROUTERS or http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1408
However going non wireless there are a number of cheaper options such as the Thonpson Speedtouch range but in my opinion the quality is not as good as the Netgear and with the DG834 I would prefer the v4 to the v5 as it has the Broadcom chipset. I suspect the one at dslsource is the v5 unit
You may well get some more options from other posters
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Jim
I checked out the dslsource site and your right, it is the v5 unit, I will check around for a v4 version so thanks again for your help and advice, I really appreciate it.
Im not too keen on Thompson equipment ever since I went through two Freeview boxes in less than 5 months, so I wont be going down that road again!
Pete
mapletree
Grafter

There's lots of routers on ebay, if you don't want to buy an new one.  Good makes are 2wire, Netgear, Linksys & Zyxel.  I would avoid the Belkin.  If you can afford it then Cisco & Draytek are very good IMHO.
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Thanks for your input mapletree, my local computer shop sells the Zyxel models but I hadn't heard of them before so wasnt keen, as said above I am leaning towards the Netgear DG834G as recommended by Old Jim, which has also been backed up by my nephew, who has a computing degree and has been using an earlier version of that router for years, but he lives in Wales so I cant call him round to sort things out, LOL. ( Im in Sussex)
I think Im going to follow Old Jims link and get the v4 Netgear this afternoon.
Thanks agin
Pete
mapletree
Grafter

Zyxel are one of the biggest names in networking hardware.  My company uses nothing but Zyxel.  I'm not surprised your local shop sells them since they are good kit.
PGRGrandad
Grafter

My only experience of broadband and routers has been since I joined Plusnet and they sent me the Voyager 210, so any information is a great help, so thanks again.
My local shop has said they will lend me a used router to check out the problem, but I am then morally bound to buy the Zyxel from them, and in view of what you have just told me I wouldn't have any concerns about doing that now, even though it will cost a few pounds more the little local guys need supporting.
So thanks to you and Jim for all the excellent advice.
Pete
mapletree
Grafter

If your local shop will lend you a router that's great.  It's worth supporting our local shops while we still have some left.  Smiley
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Update on problem
I bought a new router and connected it Tuesday afternoon, so far it has worked perfectly apart from the DSL light blinking out for just a second mid morning, but Im guessing this isn't too unusual.
So thats about 20 hours whereas with the old router I couldn't get 20 minutes without losing connection badly.
Still have my fingers crossed!!
BTW I bought the ZyXEL router from my small local shop.
Pete