cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping speed

Pete4000uk
Grafter

Connection dropping speed

Back some time ago (9-ish months) ago my internet connection crashed to about 128kbps. After some correspondence with PlusNet they requested BT turn interleaving (or was it interlacing?) on on my line. A few days later it settled down and all was rosy until about a week ago.
The connection has been up and down with the modem saying its connected at anywhere between 660kbps and 5680kbps. I did a BT speed test a few minutes ago and this is what I got:
--
Download speedachieved during the test was - 426 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5984 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
--
The start of this did coincide with the cold snap of early last week so I had been wondering if that had done something somewhere.
I see that in other posts people have more fancy breakdowns of information about their connection but I don’t know the URL’s for them so someone will have to tell me!
broadband2k
6 REPLIES 6
cartman
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping speed

Sounds a bit similar to what i am getting, connection drops day and night currently on 135Kbps and sync around 6000Kbps.
Interleaving was off but turned on to try to stabilize line.
Had no problems until now.
New filters changed, different modem tryed.
Can you hear any noise on your line? I can hear loud hiss which I know to be the adsl signal cause i can hear it syncing when the router reboots.
Enginner coming tomorrow so hoping it gets sorted.
Goodluck m8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pete4000uk,
I've just ran a line test and your sync rate is 5984k. This will give  an ip profile of 5000 if it remains stable, which looks like it shouldn't be too long now. I'll run another test later and see if it picks up and when it does I'll make sure I match the PN profile for you.
Jojo Smiley
Dom
Grafter

Sorry to go around thread-hijacking, but is there any indication as to why Pete4000uk had the problems at all? His situation seems similar to what we've had (dropping connection, filters and hardware changed, interleaving turned on, still nothing) but nothing we do seems to improve our situation. Just wondered if there was a common cause for this sort of problem.
Smiley Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dom,
There's an awful lot that goes on between the customer's property and their actual connection to the internet and they can appear as the same fault on the surface, but once we start troubleshooting we will often find many different reasons for it.
Jojo Smiley
Dom
Grafter

Yeah I guess. I could swear that BT play about with our exchange without telling anyone! Tongue
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pete4000uk,
Still not lifted yet but will check again later for you.
Jojo Smiley