cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping / incredibly slow on Mac?

FabrinRodriguez

Connection dropping / incredibly slow on Mac?

I switched to Plusnet from Sky two months ago and since then I've had a recurring intermittent problem with the connection (that I never had with Sky).

I'm using an iMac to connect via wifi — it is 2 metres away from the router and as it's only me in my flat, it's generally the only device trying to connect at the time. Wifi will show as connected at full strength on the mac, even when the connection has dropped. Turning off wifi and turning it on again on the mac (which always works with other providers) results in it not being able to find the Plusnet wifi or not recognising the password. The only way to get the connection back is to restart the mac. I'm having to do this two or three times a day.

The connection to my iPhone is also very slow so I usually end up using 4G on that. Weirdly, the wifi connection to my Apple TV box is generally fine and I only occasionally get buffering.

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Connection dropping / incredibly slow on Mac?

@FabrinRodriguez  Welcome to the forum.

Try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Try each in turn and use the best. See  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Connection dropping / incredibly slow on Mac?

Which router are you using?  Hub Zero (2704n) or a Hub One?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.