Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping every few minutes

suebev03
Dabbler

Re: Connection dropping every few minutes

Quote from: w23
Most importantly it rules one more thing (filtered faceplate) out of the equation.
It's not unknown for them to be faulty and using the test socket will help to convince BT that all necessary tests have been done.

I ruled out several of the dangly filters during several phone calls to O2 when I had this problem less than a year ago.
BT fitted the socket. It's unlikely to be faulty since the problem disappeared after they'd fitted it (after the engineer had been to exchange) and my connection with O2 was great up until I switched to Plusnet.
I don't mind faffing about with it, but I know it'll make no difference. Also, with my line being limited at the exchange now, it isn't going to disconnect like crazy regardless of the filter. An engineer visit to our house is pointless, like it was last time, and I doubt BT will even agree to send one.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It can often appear that you're 'chasing your tail' with BT, that's just how they work but if you comply with all their customer tests things should progress that bit quicker.
There's no real reason why changing to Plusnet should cause a problem with the same copper line though it's poosible if your O2 service was supplied on LLU then you will be connected to a different termination at the exchange.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi suebev03,
I am sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection again.
Although you've tried alternative microfilters before, it is always a good idea to bypass the filtered faceplate just to double check - We ask for our customers to do this to be sure that the fault isn't being caused by any internal equipment / wiring.
If your line remains stable at the restricted rate, we can always lift this restriction to see what exactly is going on as this will give us a better indication of what is going on. Our aim is to ensure that you have a stable connection whilst maintaining the fastest possible broadband speeds - This is what we will aim to do.
We will test your line and see if any issues can be identified. Ultimately, if we feel that an engineer is required, we will certainly send one out for you.
suebev03
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
There's no real reason why changing to Plusnet should cause a problem with the same copper line though it's poosible if your O2 service was supplied on LLU then you will be connected to a different termination at the exchange.

I think that's what's happened.
suebev03
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Hi suebev03,
I am sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection again.
Although you've tried alternative microfilters before, it is always a good idea to bypass the filtered faceplate just to double check - We ask for our customers to do this to be sure that the fault isn't being caused by any internal equipment / wiring.
If your line remains stable at the restricted rate, we can always lift this restriction to see what exactly is going on as this will give us a better indication of what is going on. Our aim is to ensure that you have a stable connection whilst maintaining the fastest possible broadband speeds - This is what we will aim to do.
We will test your line and see if any issues can be identified. Ultimately, if we feel that an engineer is required, we will certainly send one out for you.

I'll try the microfilters supplied tomorrow in the test socket. My connection has been fairly stable at the 3Mb restricted setting though (Only disconnecting a few times a day), so I'm not sure what difference it'll make unless you can take the limit off to see?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Disconnecting a few times a day might be regarded as tolerable but it shouldn't do that and suggests something is wrong. Zero disconnections should be achievable, though one per day is likely to be regarded as acceptable if a line test doesn't identify a fault.
David
suebev03
Dabbler

It's in the test socket now with a microfilter.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
While I think it's far too soon to tell, I can say that the connection has been on since you changed the filter and hasn't dropped since. Hopefully that'll stay the case over the weekend, but we'll see what happens.
suebev03
Dabbler

Just disconnected again after being on for 3 days roughly. Still only at 3Mbps though.
EDIT: Ahhh, it's been reset. Just gotta wait 4 hours. Here's hoping no more disconnections.Though I doubt changing from the prefiltered to a dangly one has fixed it as apparently BT were investigating the fault.
suebev03
Dabbler

Hmm, I turned it off for ten seconds after 4 hours, still only 3Mb. Restarted the router an hour ago, still only 3Mb. Will the speed increase on it's own or only when the router is restarted/turned on and off?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

what are the results of this test http://speedtester.bt.com/ and what does https://portal.plus.net/m...ction=data_transfer_speed say?
these two will determine whether you should be getting faster throughput and if BT and PN match as they should.
but it should be all automatic.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
suebev03
Dabbler

I turned it on and off again this morning, up to 4Mb now. I'm gonna have to just leave it to sort itself as I leave for uni on Saturday. So long as it's stable and fast enough for my mum to use Facebook, email and watch stuff on 4oD then that's fine. Least it isn't disconnecting 50 times a day any more.
The speedtester is giving me an error at the moment and the Plusnet page says my estimated line speed is 8Mb (varying from 6 - 14) and current line speed as 3.8Mb.
suebev03
Dabbler

Update on this:
For the last two weeks my connection has been dropping like crazy every few minutes, past few days it seems to have stabilised... only at 3mb. After months of 13-16mb rock solid, can someone look into this?
Thank God we're getting FTTC in our area next year, ADSL technology needs to disappear forever.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and can see that your speed is now at 13.7Mb/s and your line has been stable for the past 24 hours.
I'd suggest to keep monitoring it over the next couple of days.
suebev03
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and can see that your speed is now at 13.7Mb/s and your line has been stable for the past 24 hours.
I'd suggest to keep monitoring it over the next couple of days.

Thank you very much. Been at 15Mb for the past 6 hours now. I suspect I'll be asking for someone to reset it or whatever again in a few months though.