cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping every 10-20 minutes

larkim
Dabbler

Connection dropping every 10-20 minutes

Yesterday I noticed for the first time (and persistently throughout the evening) my connection being dropped by the router.
The event logs in the router report "xDSL linestate down".
I've never had an issue with sync or connections before (that I've noticed).  I did see that the router was reporting a fair few IDS port scanning hits, but I doubt that is anything other than normal for someone with a fixed IP.
I don't have a spare microfilter to test, and I don't think I have a test socket either.  I've not changed anything else.
Where should I start with unpicking it? 
Thanks!
Matt
20 REPLIES 20
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Connection dropping every 10-20 minutes

Yeah it doesn't look pretty

If you dont' have a test socket I'd recommend making sure your connected to the master socket which is the first phone socket in your property.
I would recommend getting hold of another microfilter just to be on the safe side.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Matthew
I would recommend getting hold of another microfilter just to be on the safe side.

Can't you just send him one ?
Quote from: Graham21
From today, any Plusnet advisor can send a customer an additional microfilter FOC from the warehouse. It should arrive next day if ordered by 2pm.
larkim
Dabbler

I'll have another scratch around tonight at home - but fairly sure I binned all of the microfilters when I used a faceplate-integrated one.
I might have mis-spoken about the test socket (late night / early morning / internet frustration!) so I will take another look. 
What else might cause that sort of connection behaviour?  I was actively online last night between about 10pm and midnight with no issues, nothing else changed chez moi.  And then it seems it worked OK thought the night and only packed in just before I woke up.
stevewelling
Grafter

Is it still dropping off today?
I had loads of simiar problems yesterday (Sunday) with losing connection and noise on line, Saturday was fine and today is fine.
Just wondered if work was being carried out somewhere or something? Seems strange that only on Sunday....I had loads of disconnects last weekend also.
I am based in Manchester.
larkim
Dabbler

Seems to have stablised now and I've done nothing at all to resolve things!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It seems to be fine at the moment.

I'd recommend keeping a eye on it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
larkim
Dabbler

Had another chronic period of rapid connection / disconnection through most of last night and it was still persisting this morning when I left for work.
What's the protocol for getting "someone" to look into the reasons for this?  Personally I'm suspecting some sort of line fault, and given the fairly sporadic nature of the faults occuring I'm not totally convinced that any testing I can do could actually produce any meaningful results. 
Presumably the first advice is, in the event of similar connection issues, rule out the microfilter (not that I have one) and rule out any extension sockets (I have a combined faceplate on the main BT socket, but then a hardwired combined extension box which is where the phone and the modem/router plug into.  So I suppose the microfilter is built into the hardwired extension.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yeah its looking pretty bad

Your last reply does confuse me a bit though. When you say you have a combined faceplate do you mean one that has two ports one for phone and broadband?
If the extension is connected to the phone socket and the routers connected to the extension you may be double filtering your line.
Can you attach a photo of your setup?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The pattern of disconnects on those graphs rather points to REIN from some electrical appliance used in restricted hours - central heating, TV are typical candidates. The equipment might not be in your property.
Do a quiet line test dial 1707 option 2 when you are experiencing the disconnection issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

larkim
Dabbler

Definitely some crackle and pops on the quiet line. I'll post pics later.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you ever get any phone line noise at the master socket report a phone line fault to who ever provides it and get openreach out.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
larkim
Dabbler

I'll need to borrow a fixed telephone as I don't trust my DECT one to give me a clean signal anyway.
The setup that is in place in terms of my sockets etc has been in situ for about 8 years now, so either something has developed a fault internally or it is something external that has changed.
I have half a suspicion that my son is to blame - for the period of uninterrupted connection he was away in Iceland, and the day he came back was the day that connection issues started (according to the graph above).  But he doesn't have anything "new" in the household either!
Attached are two pics of the master socket (note internally wired cable coming out of the bottom) and the extension faceplate with built in microfilter.  I don't believe I am filtering twice with this setup.
Matt
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'd like to run a line test when the fault is happening. Therefore, once you've done your internal checks, if the problem remains, can you let us know please?
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
larkim
Dabbler

Yes, will do.  Is there any constraint of time of day?  I'm most likely to be able to test out of hours, simply due to working away from home.
Next time I get a drop out I'll post immediately here (via 3G!)
Thanks for the help and support so far.