cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping and slow speeds

dralamar

Connection dropping and slow speeds

Since early May I've been having random brief connection drops and speeds have been fluctuating down to half of normal (normal is about 12 mbps over the last 16 months).  After the latest disconnections today, the speed has dropped to about 1 or 2 mbps.  Could someone at Plusnet see if there's a problem with the line, please?

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Connection dropping and slow speeds

Welcome to the forums, @dralamar . I'm sure one of the Help Team will pick this up fairly soon, but it may help if you run through this topic before they do. https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501

John
WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @dralamar, I've tested the line for you. The testing didn't detect what could be the cause of the disconnections so I've sent you some further troubleshooting steps via email. If you wouldn't mind running through those and raising it with our Faults team as per the email and we'll get that investigated further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
dralamar

I'd just like to point out that issues with my Plusnet connection continue to this day.  Every time I call support they run some tests, reset the speed, and it's mostly fine for exactly 2 weeks, then problems resume and the speed gets cut down.  I assume their wonderful automated speed adjustment system is the cause of the problem, since I've had years of fine service beforehand (at this location and another previously).  I won't be staying with Plusnet or using them again after this debacle though.

blake48
Hooked

We seem to be experiencing the same problems, slow speeds and drop outs

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@blake48 - have you raised your own post for your issues or have you just been tagging on to other's posts all over the place?  Scatter-gun posting does not help others to help you, so please do not do it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@dralamar 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Speeds degrading after a week or two very much point to an issue with the phone line supplied by and maintained by BT Openreach, rather than anything owned and maintained by Plusnet.  That is not to suggest that Plusnet are not responsible for managing resolution of the problem wherever it is.

Given your description and the statement that Plusnet testing form the line to be fault free (at the time of testing) this has the hall marks of either an intermittent fault or electrical interference.  What tests have you performed?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blake48
Hooked

My point in commenting on others posts who are having the same issues as me is to try and point out to Plusnet that there are many of us having the same problems, in the hope they may actually acknowledge and identify the problem and do something to help those of us experiencing these problems. 

Generally on forums it is common practice to comment on another post that has the same topic/issue as you so that whoever is offering help and the others who have the same issue can find an answer.  Everyone starting a new thread for their own post regardless of whether it is the same issue as others have just dilutes a forum and the ability to find info/answers in mine and many others opinion.

Just because you are labelled a 'Superuser' please don't feel it should give you the right to make those of us who don't use the forums usually feel unwelcome to use the forum.  Might be worth remembering that community forums should be friendly and helpful places for people, not a place for those who use it most to have a dig at others.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Posting "me too" on other's treads helps no one, especially you.  It in itself is seen as unfriendly.  Did you see the forum rules when you joined in here?  https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Announcements/Forum-Rules/m-p/1167432#M8418

• Spamming is the act of posting multiple responses that add little to the ongoing discussion, this will not be tolerated.
  • Cross-Posting of the same issue across more than one thread should not occur.

A number of users might well see similar symptoms, that does not mean that they share a common problem.  Plusnet can see the entirety of the issues users are facing, they do not need the "help" you feel you are offering to see that.

If you want help for your problem, then please raise a new request on the appropriate board with details as requested in the issue help topics - see the links below.  If you feel that this is a dig, that is unfortunate, but if you want help here, you need to be guided towards taking a different approach.

blake48
Hooked

Let's just agree to disagree, as I do not find your comments helpful and don't appreciate your tone thanks, so please don't reply to any more of my posts.  I am sure there must be rules about this being a welcoming and friendly community forum too.

I have had a response from a Plusnet staff member on one of my posts, and they didn't say anything about my use of the forum. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@blake48 did you do as requested by @Gandalf here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine