Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping and DOS attacks

chris_coops

Connection dropping and DOS attacks

Hi everyone,
just looking for some advice really.
I'm on PlusNets premier option 1 and have been for over 3 years, maybe even 4 years now. And in all I've been really happy with my connection and the service. I was upgraded to DSLMax over a year ago and was chuffed with my 6MB connection I was regularly getting.
But recently I've been having various problems with the connection dropping.
I use a Netgear DG834PN, I originally had a DG834G, but when my mum got broadband installed I upgraded and gave her my old one. It has been fine, it's almost 18 months old, and has never given me problems in the past.
Basically, what is happening is the front light shows a full connection, and even the web based software is showing a connection to Plusnet, but when I browse the web either the connection times out or I get the website but it's reeeeaaallllly slow, especially pictures (but that's probably because they have the largest file size on most websites).
I've checked the log on my Netgear router and it is showing that I regularly get DOS attacks to a particular port (I forget which one atm, but it's definitely not 80, something 55427!). Windows Firewall is enabled, and I've got Windows Defender installed and none of them is detecting any intrustion.
I wondered if the DOS attacks are what could be causing the slowdown (and regular disconnection that I occasionally get), and if so what can I do to stop it?
Or is the the firewall actually blocking the DOS attack as it should be, and the router is just logging the attempt?
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Chris
1 REPLY 1
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Connection dropping and DOS attacks

Quote from: chris
Hi everyone,
just looking for some advice really.
I'm on PlusNets premier option 1 and have been for over 3 years, maybe even 4 years now. And in all I've been really happy with my connection and the service. I was upgraded to DSLMax over a year ago and was chuffed with my 6MB connection I was regularly getting.

Chris, you're not actually on DSLMax, you're provisioned on our up to 8Mbps LLU service instead.
But recently I've been having various problems with the connection dropping.
I use a Netgear DG834PN, I originally had a DG834G, but when my mum got broadband installed I upgraded and gave her my old one. It has been fine, it's almost 18 months old, and has never given me problems in the past.

I've checked our RADIUS logs here and despite the odd disconnection early hours of the 10th and 11th, the last few days isn't suggestive of any problems. If it's not too much of a problem, you might want to try with the older router again so you can rule out your hardware as the cause of the problem.
Basically, what is happening is the front light shows a full connection, and even the web based software is showing a connection to Plusnet, but when I browse the web either the connection times out or I get the website but it's reeeeaaallllly slow, especially pictures (but that's probably because they have the largest file size on most websites).

There's been quite a bit of early hour LLU maintenance recently. You might want to check to see if your problems coincide with any of the work announced here.
I've checked the log on my Netgear router and it is showing that I regularly get DOS attacks to a particular port (I forget which one atm, but it's definitely not 80, something 55427!). Windows Firewall is enabled, and I've got Windows Defender installed and none of them is detecting any intrustion.
I wondered if the DOS attacks are what could be causing the slowdown (and regular disconnection that I occasionally get), and if so what can I do to stop it?
Or is the the firewall actually blocking the DOS attack as it should be, and the router is just logging the attempt?

Do you use peer-2-peer software? They regularly transmit data using high UDP ports like this one. I'd be surprised if a DDOS was the cause of your problems.
If you're going to run a speedtest then you're probably better off using this one as the BT one Peter linked to won't work on LLU.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵