cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropped in strange new ways

wayrail
Dabbler

Connection dropped in strange new ways

Ten minutes ago, my connection dropped; I could only get the "Technicolour" infomation login page.
So I rebooted my router, then I could only get the following page from BT: http://62.6.38.125/index.html
Then I switched everything off and on again (this is why I hate PCs), and now it all works.
This is partly in case it help anyone else, but mainly to ask why that BT page appears?
4 REPLIES 4
wayrail
Dabbler

Re: Connection dropped in strange new ways

Reading this back, it sounds a bit time-wasting, but it follows the usual episode of panic. Just before I wrote this reply, technicolour screen again, internet light red. Look at router, lights turn green... Perhaps it's just a busy Friday at the exchange. I shall check nothing knocked my connection.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The reason for the BT page appearing is probably the first one the page mentions:
The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.

Possibly BT Wholesale are doing work somewhere within the exchange or on their infrastructure network (which will be the reason for your connection going down). It shouldn't result from 'congestion'.
Usually if you leave the router to its own devices it will reconnect once the problem is fixed.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi wayrail,
It looks like your connection was down for a few minutes that caused that for you. Everything looks OK on your line, is everything OK from your side?
wayrail
Dabbler

Yes - sorry, PC went down for a month.