cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropped and speed loss

Azagoth
Grafter

Connection dropped and speed loss

I don't know what's going on, but my connection that has been stable for quite a while dropped and reconnected twice and now my speed is way slower than usual.  Thanks to the incompetence of BT and OpenReach I can't get fibre of any flavour, despite living in the middle of a large city surrounded by streets that can get fibre.  So every little bit of speed is needed.  I've been connected at 1.2Mb for ages but after the line dropped and reconnected tonight it's half that, making it impossible to do anything.  I can't even stream TV via Prime now without it constantly buffering,.

Can somebody look into this give my line a kick please.

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Connection dropped and speed loss

Would be helpful if you could run though some basic self help tests please.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics, download the .PDF report and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Check the Plusnet user portal for the "Current Line Speed" which is relevant to users with static IP addresses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

I've just tested your connection and the tests aren't showing the cause for this and I haven't been able to test your phone line as part of the broadband test. I agree with @Townman in that it's a good idea to check your phone line. I'd also recommend getting in touch with your phone provider and ask they run a line test. 

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Gandalf wrote:

I'd also recommend getting in touch with your phone provider and ask they run a line test. 

Let me know how it goes.

Oh dear, legacy user with phone and broadband from different providers.  I hope we do not see a game of BTOR inspired ping-pong here!

QLT looks like a first step essential check!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.