cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection constantly drops! Help please!

FIXED
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

Connection constantly drops! Help please!

Firstly sorry about the caps.

I've been with plusnet since 2011, all good. Then I moved last November, all good till a couple of weeks ago.

I think my connection constantly drops. Now I'm a bit of a noob. So don't really know what happened. But I think I observed that the broadband will suddenly disconnect, and re-start connecting. This started about 2 weeks ago. Last week was pretty bad, I remembered there was a night it kept re-connecting after got connected. This week is better, but I estimate it will disconnect at least 5, 6 or even more a day.

I connect to internet through WiFi on all my devices. The router I use is the original router I had since 2011 from Plusnet. I tried to restart the router, and problem still exists. Also, I moved router's place a bit, not sure that helped hugely.

I was thinking of open a fault ticket, and actually half-opened one. However, I'm not comfortable about the concept of getting a new router and try my luck, as after reading a bit on the forum it almost is not user's equipment fault.

I would be much appreciated if any staff here could help me have a look. Thanks in advance!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

10 REPLIES 10
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

Re: Connection constantly drops! Help please!

This evening has been bad so far.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Whilst our tests aren't finding a definitive cause of the drops which we can see, I've made a change to the settings on your line that should help stabilise your connection.

If the drops continue in a few hours I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting steps here next.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf.

I think it's better than before. It had a few drop yesterday afternoon, but last night was good. Today afternoon I had a few drops.

I think it's almost like it only drops when I use internet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear things have improved.

If the problems return I'd recommend completing the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf.

I think I might need to go through the troubleshooting. Just a couple of questions if I may.

So is there a router you would recommend me to get (only for test purpose)?

And I know I'm gonna move in 2 or 3 months, do you reckon the issue will be solved automatically if I move to a different place SG14 given my equipments are good?

Thanks

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @tekkamanblade1,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Any ADSL compatible router would be fine for testing purposes, as long as it's not locked to another provider. As you've mentioned that you're using your original router from 2011, there's a good chance that this could be an equipment issue. As a goodwill gesture, I've sent you a new router to try. You should receive this within 3-5 working days.

If the new router does not resolve the issue, it's unlikely that this is going to be something that will carry over to your new property. We are, of course, happy to work towards resolving the issue at your current property for as long as you need. Please let us know if your new router doesn't improve things.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

Thanks Emily.

Just for the record, things improved a bit. I only noticed 2 drops in the last 36 hours or so.

Will try the new router once it arrives and report back, thanks Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Keep us posted. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tekkamanblade1
Dabbler

I have been using the new router for a week now, and internet didn't drop once. So it was the router's problem in the end.

Thank you guys so much :)))))))

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear this is sorted now. Thumbs_Up

Thanks for coming back to us.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet