cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection closed by peer

peaksoft
Grafter

Connection closed by peer

I switched yesterday from a legacy package (Option 2) to the Premium package, and today I find that when using BitTorrent I started getting spasmodic "connection closed by peer" on my trackers.
Is this a coincidence?
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Connection closed by peer

1. I presume you were aware of the different traffic shaping. http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm allows you to compare.
2. Was either yesterday or today your billing date as product changes are normally only actioned on the billing date.
3. You need to check your current line speed shown by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed. It should be the same as the IP Profile shown by the BT speed test. There is a long-standing bug where this gets set to 2000 on changing products. If it doesn't match the IP Profile ring support and ask for it to be corrected - they can do it instantly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
peaksoft
Grafter

Thanks for that, but...
....1  It's not just "shaped", it's been strangled as far as peer-to-peer is concerned.
...2  The forum guys actuallty did it instantly.
...3  It's showing as 7000
To be fair, the BitTorrent is actually functioning now...the current download speed is varying between 0.1 and 0.3 kB/s.
My interest is in knowing whether "connection closed by peer" is an extreme example of "shaping" or whether the problem arises elsewhere.
adie:quote
peaksoft
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

3. You need to check your current line speed shown by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed. It should be the same as the IP Profile shown by the BT speed test. There is a long-standing bug where this gets set to 2000 on changing products. If it doesn't match the IP Profile ring support and ask for it to be corrected - they can do it instantly.

The Plusnet data transfer speed page says "current line speed 7000"
The BT speed test says "download speed 476 kbps" and "maximum achievable speed 2000Kbps"
So is this wrongly set?
peaksoft
Grafter

jelv
Seasoned Hero

That isn't the usual bug.
What did the BT speed test say for the IP Profile?
If the network is busy I'd expect P2P to be pretty well strangled out of existence on Premium. The speeds given on the charts are the limits set and would only be reached in normal circumstances, the busier the network the further short of those speeds you will be.
If you find out which gateway you are one and look at http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml you may spot that a disconnect/reconnect (using the router interface to restart the PPP session) to get on to a different gateway may be advantageous. There appears to be a wide variation at the moment.
peaksoft
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

What did the BT speed test say for the IP Profile?

It says the IP profile is 2000 Kbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What does your router say for the current downstream sync and how long does it say you have been connected?
peaksoft
Grafter

I restarted the router this morning because intially internet connectivity was almost at a standstill and email/web pages kept timing out.  I just went away for a cup of coffee and restarted everything.
On p2p I'm now getting a maxikum download of about 5kB/s.  The deteriorating from my old Option 2 connection is very marked. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What speed does your router say it is synced at?
peaksoft
Grafter

ADSL speed is 6651/440
Is that what you are asking me for?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes - that's it.
If you stay synced at that speed without any problems you should see the IP Profile reported by the BT speed test rise - but it can take up to 72 hours, and it can take up to 12 hours after that changes for the current line speed shown on the PN portal to change (this may be why the portal was showing a higher speed than BT and the discrepancy may be why you are seeing the closed connections). If you get disconnections or syncs at slower speeds this may delay the change.
I'm pretty sure this change in IP Profile being at the same time as you changed accounts is a co-incidence.
peaksoft
Grafter

Many thanks for your interest.
I'll just have to hope the current predicted 3 years 7 weeks on my awaited p2p download is an over-estimate.  Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you restricted the P2P upload speeds? That can often help.
peaksoft
Grafter

Yes, thanks for that. I do that automatically now, after realising that a lot of my extra £2 contributions to Plusnet's coffers were financing my previously rather generous upload policy.