cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection 'churn'

Simon_M
Grafter

Connection 'churn'

Reading what Dave T had written here set me wondering about connections & re-connections.
Dave, if it's not commercially sensitive, could you supply some ball-park figures?
What percentage of total active users are connected at any one time a) at daily peak & b) at daily minimum?
I suppose that begs the question of the definition of an active user?
What percentage of connections 'churn' during a 24 hr period?
Is the average duration of a connection going up over time as more people use combined modem/routers & leave them on 24/7?
What percentage of connections have a duration in excess of 7 days?
I can see that if the 'churn' is getting quite low as a proportion of total & as the churned connections tend to be short-lived, then re-balancing the network when bringing capacity back on line (whether new or just re-connected after a fault) must be getting more difficult.
This is not a 'Freedom of Information' type request - I'm just interested in an approximation & only if the information is readily available.
Thanks
Simon
7 REPLIES 7
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Connection 'churn'

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#numbers may be a starting point, but only gives a general overview across all centrals.
b.
Simon_M
Grafter

Hmm. I'd deliberately avoided asking for actual numbers to avoid anything commercially sensitive, but the red line gives numbers, so now knowing the percentage would make it easy to calculate the number of active users. Not sure if that is sensitive or not, but it does look as if at least a third of users are off-line at any given time, unless the Plusnet userbase has been shrinking rather than growing.
I guess it also means that the USB modems have nearly disappeared from the face of the earth - the day/night fluctuation is less than I had expected & a good chunk of that will be people switching off routers overnight. I'm even more surprised at how little day/night fluctuation there is given how many users appear not to be on line at all.
godsell4
Rising Star

Yes, but they could do some regular balancing of the network in the early hours of the morning, clearly the correct running of the network way the Ellanoya works needs the mix of people on each pipe to be kept consistent on all pipes, means PN should be spotting the busiest and quietest pipes maybe and at 7 or 14 day intervals kick off everyone on just those pipes so that when the reconnect the mix of people is probably going to be better.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
scootie
Grafter

i belive the 21cn host links are easyer for plusnet to keep balanced than 20cn centrals
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Connection "churn"

Keeping things in balance isn't too bad normally, it's when pipes / segments drop that we need to do the kicking. Normally we can add extra RADIUS entries to get things balanced out.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: godsell4
Yes, but they could do some regular balancing of the network in the early hours of the morning, clearly the correct running of the network way the Ellanoya works needs the mix of people on each pipe to be kept consistent on all pipes, means PN should be spotting the busiest and quietest pipes maybe and at 7 or 14 day intervals kick off everyone on just those pipes so that when the reconnect the mix of people is probably going to be better.

That really is the most stupid idea I've ever seen floated on here! It guarantees that those gateways will have fewer of the people who leave their routers connected for weeks/months at a time. You need a good mix of all types of users on each gateway. Kicking should really be avoided if at all possible.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godsell4
Rising Star

Huh! Such hurtful comments jelv.  Wink  Cry
But most/all of those people with routers, will auto connect straight away, thereby being spread around those two gateways, I guess I should also mean, for the 30-45mins after kicking those connections the RADIUS should be configure to put people back onto those gateways which were kicked. At 5-6AM, there are very few people I would think who are just turning on routers/modems for the 1st time that day.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed