cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed dropped from 16 to 2 Megabits.

ColinW
Grafter

Connection Speed dropped from 16 to 2 Megabits.

This post is mainly directed with a hope for help from Plusnet staff, and is with respect to an ADSL 2+ connection.
Until 20/05/11 I had throughput of between 14 to 16 Megabits per second. On or around the 21st it dropped to 2 or less Megabits per second. I know that I have a line that has stability issues. Last year there was a considerable amount of effort expended upon rectifying what seemed like a series of faults, detailed in Closed ticked number 36344330. After 51 days of activity on the fault it was decided that that “..your fault is now resolved, or at least as much as it can be…”.
The line, even with its stability issues has managed to deliver good throughput until recently. I phone Plusnet on the 23rd to ask what had happened to be told that the problem was due to  instability issues with the line, but of course as outlined above my line has never been stable.
My current line speed as derived from Plusnet web page is 2 Mb.
BT Speed test shows my IP profile is set to 16721 Kbps. It has shown that profile for the last few days.
Router RX sync is 18952 Kbps with Rx noise at 4.5 db, Down stream Attenuations is 22.5 db.
Apart form the router dropping the connection fairly often these stats have remained consistent.
What do I do now? I could of course raise a fault ticket and go through the usual procedure but have done this so many times before, on numerous faults, that I am hoping for other suggestions.
As you can no doubt see I am less the 2km from the exchange and practically everything that can be changed has been changed, if not on the last fault on previous faults, including E and D side lines, drop cable, lift and shift at the Exchange. Even the master socket, I suspect that the test socket was beginning to wear out!
Some of these things have now been changed more that once. HELP!
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connection Speed dropped from 16 to 2 Megabits.

Hi ColinW,
I'll get onto our suppliers and see what can be done. It looks like the disconnections have caused your profile to drop, and both of the BT systems we use are reporting that as 2000. When did you run the speed test?
Jojo Smiley
ColinW
Grafter

Thanks Jojo,
Perhaps I just do not understand the results I get from the BT speed test. I have just run it and have pasted the salient details below. I understand that my download is low and I thought that was because of Plusnet 2mB connection limit. What I do not understand is that my IP profile, as shown below indicates 16721 Kbps. I thought that the Plusnet profile followed the BT profile, which does not appear to be the case here.
Colin

Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
1675 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1675 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :18952 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 16721 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 30.72:23.77:45.53 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.  
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
348 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 348 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ColinW,
I've sorted that now, you should see the increased speed within the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
ColinW
Grafter

Jojo,
Thanks very much. I have, once again, the sort of speed I would expect.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what was the problem?
Colin.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ColinW,
I think it was just a low sync event that caused the profile to drop and then it didn't come back up when it should have.
Jojo Smiley
ColinW
Grafter

Jojo,
OK, well thanks again, you have no idea how relieved I am not to have to go through  the usual fault diagnostic procedure.
Colin.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Colin,
I'm always glad to help, but remember, most of the queries we get on here can be a simple fix but if not there will be times when it's necessary to go through the faults process.
Jojo Smiley