Did you mean: 

Connection Problems

Bookworms
Grafter

Re: Connection Problems

Quote from: Anotherone
Probably no bits above 255 atm

Yes you're right - I'd forgotten that I had it set on the default 0-255

if you right click the graph you can do a Capture Now instead of screen shots.

Doh, I should have thought of that. Thanks. Smiley
Checking the AM radio, the interference is broad spectrum, but appears to peak around the 950 Khz mark on MW, though it's also very strong at around 255khz long wave.
I'm guessing these are some sort of harmonics?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's very likely (the harmonics) something I was going to take a closer look at, and will do so later tonight.
Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
Hi,
The target is 9db on the downstream.
The doesn't seem to be progressing. The faults team have updated Bookworms on the next course of action.
Tony

Hi, apologies for dragging this thread up again, but I haven't heard anything from the faults team and my original question has been closed.
Not only closed, but I can't find any trace of it ever having existed!
Lots of REIN again today (as well as rain!) after a mostly REIN-free week.
Cry
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Thanks for coming back here.
Our faults team did have your ticket (91633991) under investigation. The last comment on it suggests we were waiting for further information from you though. I'm not sure what was actually said in that call. If you would like to advise here, I'll raise a new ticket to faults for you.
Tony

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Bookworms
Grafter

Thanks for the quick response.
I'm not sure why I can't find that ticket via 'help Assistant'.
When I spoke on the phone, I basically queried the point of another engineer visit for an intermittent REIN problem- and it's become even more intermittent since I had that call.
I guess I really just want to know what realistic options are available.
From what I've learnt in this and other threads, REIN problems are notoriously difficult to pin down and BTO isn't particuarly interested in spending time and resources on them.
So if I do arrange another visit, I'd like to have some idea of what practical steps they'd likely take to investigate or rectify this annoying REIN issue (it's gone away again at the moment, as it happens).
Anotherone
Champion

Well I was hoping to see some more bits/tone graphs for each of the conditions I mentioned in the latter paragraph of reply #98 and note my comment in reply #102.
Based on what you have posted and your observations it certainly looks like interference from some sort of SMPU and the frequencies I'm seeing affected seem to tie in as harmonics, but the 955 kHz one I would have expected to be a touch lower around the 930's kHz but what you hear may depend on broadcast stations as well.
As far as tracking with a portable radio is concerned, whilst you will obviously get the strongest reception when the radio is close to cables or anything radiating the REIN, you need to move back from it so that as you rotate the radio and you can achieve a NULL along the line of the radio ferrite rod - usually the longest horizontal dimension of the radio. You then do this from several locations - the method is called triangulation and will hopefully all indicate the location of the source where the lines all intersect.
Have you found the ticket? Is there any indication of your line being banded (as I mentioned in reply #114) from any DLM data
You are looking for WBC 4M-9M or similar (and the date of it was put on the ticket).
Edit: If you have some idea of the location, you can keep an eye open as to whether this occurs when people are at home etc (cars parked or missing can be a good indicator as well as lights on).
Bookworms
Grafter

Sorry I haven't uploaded all the info yet - it's been a hectic week.
I hadn't set routerstats to record the bits graphs until a few days ago.
Yesterday took me by surprise. After making the (false) assumption that the REIN had stopped it came back with a vengeance.
I'll upload some Noise graphs in this post and some corresponding bit graphs in the next.
Bookworms
Grafter
Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
some sort of SMPU

SMPU? I googled but I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
the method is called triangulation and will hopefully all indicate the location of the source where the lines all intersect.

As I noted earlier, the AM interference seemed to be consistently strong all along the street where the cables run.
I don't see how I could narrow it down to a specific house/building.
Have you found the ticket? Is there any indication of your line being banded (as I mentioned in reply #114) from any DLM data
You are looking for WBC 4M-9M or similar (and the date of it was put on the ticket).

I found it via Tony's link - 'Question closed automatically after 14 days of inactivity'.
It still doesn't show when I search closed questions using 'Help Assistant'.
I didn't see anything about DLM but I may have been looking in the wrong place.
One late thought - the street lights in this road and surrounding areas have been replaced in stages over the last 3-4 months.
As there is no obvious correlation between lights going on/off and REIN, I've not really considered that as a source, but I suppose all the digging they're doing might have disturbed some cables somewhere?
Anotherone
Champion

SMP Unit, I really should have said SMPS
Quote from: Bookworms
As I noted earlier, the AM interference seemed to be consistently strong all along the street where the cables run.
I don't see how I could narrow it down to a specific house/building.

You may need to walk across the road to get further away Wink Try your garden again as you said you could get it there.
Bookworms
Grafter

Apologies for reviving this saga of a thread but I have experienced a lot of REIN again recently making my connection very unstable at speeds much over 4Mb.
I've had routerstats running almost continuously since September but I'm not sure what for! Undecided
I've tried wandering around with a radio - as before - picking up a very loud hum on AM when REIN is present.
It appears to be radiating from the cables that run beneath the pavement and the signal peters out just past where the BT and cable boxes are huddled together at the end of the street.
I can't really narrow it down to a more specific location.
Will Openreach or Plusnet technical team be interested in looking at the routerstat stats?

Bookworms
Grafter

To illustrate how bad it is at the moment, here are my current BTw test results:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.52 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.31 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.65 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.65Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
---------------------------------
Cry
Bookworms
Grafter

As this REIN problem is probably intractable*, I've more-or-less learnt to live with DL speeds of 3-4Mb, however, these last couple of days my speed has dropped to around 600-800kbps. which is close to unusable. [* I have a strong suspicion that the REIN is radiating from a local cable box].
According to my router I should be getting about 6 Mb so I'm not sure what's going on.
I disconnected the router via its interface and powered it down a couple of times over the weekend before reconnecting to see if would improve things but it doesn't appear to have helped much. The SNR seems to be stuck at 8 dB whereas it usually climbs rapidly upwards in the absence of REIN (there's been no intereference on AM radio for some hours)
Nothing in my network set-up has changed since the engineer fitted a new faceplate  way back in September - the router has been connected directly to it since then.
----------------------------------
7/12/14 @ 14:30
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 14:07:45
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,104 / 9,028
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,100 / 6,653
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21.95 / 96.61
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 39.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 173 / 115,197
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 34 / 17
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 42 / 292
---------------------------------------
7/12/14 @ 14:35
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.67 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Sad

Bookworms
Grafter

*Unless you are a masochist, please don't read this thread right from the beginning - please skip to page 8 to get the gist. Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

Grin I've got to be a masochist, as you know I read it a long time ago.
Have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required)
If that's around 5.8, then someone from CRT will need to do a consistency check on your Profile.
The SNRM is stuck where it is because your sync speed seems banded again.
I'll try and pop back later with some more comment.